U.S. Federal law regarding sale & use of motorized vehicles.

Discussion in 'Laws, Legislation & Emissions' started by timmyP, Jul 11, 2009.

1. timmyP

timmyP Member

I don't know the details but President Bush signed into law a bill that rendefines the manufacture, sale and use of anything with a gasoline powered engine on it. just before he left office. The American Motorcycle Assn was furious. Apparrently thier lobyist got caught sleeping on the job and couldn't muster up enough resistance to slow it down and the next thing they knew. Bush had signed it into law. It's original intent was to stop the production and sale of things like gas powered skateboards, pocket bikes, mini choppers, etc to childern. But it is being interepted in all kinds of ways by the different States. For example there is basically no difference between a motorbike and a moped and a moped and a motorcycle in Texas anymore There is another post here that makes reference to how the new laws are being interpreted in TX. There is such a fine line between the three types motorbike, moped, motorcycle if you don't comply with the motorcycle requirements you are at great risk fora ticket and heafty fines that can effect your auto driving priviledges( and insurance cost

2. timmyP

timmyP Member

In Texas a Whizzer is a motorcycle, and a bicycle with a 48cc engine on it is a moped. And now Mopeds have to be registered, they have to have a safety inspection, you have to have liability insurance on it and you must have health insurance on the driverand you have to have proof of this on your person if you are stopped. You must also have a motorcycle endorsement on your drivers license or risk getting ticketed for that also. You cannot operate a moped if you are under age 15even then you must have a special license (a moped liscense) it automatically converts to a motorcycle license when the person turns 16. If you have never had a teenager in your home, just try to buy liability insurance on anything with a motor on it for a 15 year old boy !

3. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

kind of funny -- but -- not too funny
    Calif known to be home to many many added laws
    treats motorized bicycles as a good THING

one for Calif
    as we go broke !!
    at least if and when we do go broke and can not afford to drive cars
    we are set up right regarding MB's
    MM

4. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

I could be wrong...happens every day, but this does not sound correct. Who told you this and where can I see this law?

The CPSC and NHSTA have regulations about equipment, that is, if they equipment is present, it caan be sold. However, states can usually decide whether to use those as their rules or have less onerous rules. My state does not use the federal standards for motorcycles and mopeds. Each state generally decided what can operate on its roads under what circumstances.

I am aware of a lead content regulation that seems to outlaw motorized conveyances with lead (all of them) that are marketted to minors, but nothing beyond that.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2009
  5. bamabikeguy

bamabikeguy Active Member

Motor-ASSISTED bicycle.

Memorize those words !!

Challenge a moped to an "engine off- pedals only" race.......

6. HoughMade

HoughMade Guest

Still varies state to state. Presence or absence of pedals means nothing here.

7. pdxrhett

pdxrhett Member

According to Jerry it means something in oregon (pedals), but according to a police officer who stopped me after my tail light fell off, as long as it is under 50cc, you don't even need a license (I also read this in a newspaper awhile ago). All that is required is that you are 16 or older and you must carry proof of this.

All that's needed on anything motorized in oregon is headlight, taillight (doesn't even have to be a brake light on a bicycle), and some type of turn signals. Turn signals could be lights, or your arms (left arm up for turning right, left arm to the side for turning left, left arm down for stopping (in emergencies))

8. timmyP

timmyP Member

There are some references to parts of it on the AMA web site. They comment on the fact that it has a lot to do with things being built and marketed to the under 12 year old age group.NHSTA has apparrently bowedto some external preasure and has basically agreed not enforce all parts of the law for some time.

The reason I mentioned it was the fact that I was told that it was being loosely interpreted by a number of States and that the fact that motorized biking is getting more complicated by the day and it seems like some States will use any excuse it can to add more restrictive laws to the books.. In Texas there has been several changes in the laws that regulate the use of a motorbike this past year. The things regarding Texas I mentioned in the original post. I was reading directly from the new code as I typed it in

9. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

I think what it comes down to is taxes and that depends on both local and state policies regarding motorized bikes. In our current economy, we may get a little slack here and there and the laws on converted bicycles confuse the LE officers. I say pedal it often even if it's just going through the motions and if you have a reasonable amount of time, kill it and pedal, I bet they won't even notice the motor on your bike. I'm sure many officers seeing older expirenced people riding won't give it a second thought. Under aged kids all over the road doing laps, making noise and ****ing off cagers will be much more of a concern. We as MB'ers are paying gas taxes and if you think about it, we do have some rights to be using the roads, more so than a regular bicyclist if you really think about it. I'm not bagging on those without engines but they are free loaders on the road tax system. I'm going to do my best to keep it slow, quiet and in the gray area of the law best I can.

10. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

If MBs ever become numerous enough, cash strapped states will see a perceived revenue source to legislate for.

The only cyclists who could be deemed freeloaders are children, God help us there. Most regular cyclists own a car and pay gas tax or use transportation that does. As far as "road tax", we all pay plenty whether we own a car or not.

11. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

from the retired government ((City worker))

you are right I think HV
    MB's probably will be a state new source of revenue
    once these guys realize -- there are some monies that they can grab

15 to 50 bucks a year paid to DMV sounds about right
    lets face it
    small price to pay for a great ride

MM

12. seanhan

seanhan Member

Thats half the fun !!!! Is it legal ?? who the heck knowes ???

13. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

Saw the local poolice up ahead at a light on my ride today. I pulled the clutch and killed it, kept peddling ( I peddle often anyway) and he didn't even notice me as he passed. I'm just going to do my best not to push the issue and fly under the radar. I don't want to find out I'm not legal.

14. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Active Member

Sorry, the officer you spoke with was misinformed as to the law in Oregon.

Maximum allowable engine displacement is 35cc. Also, if the reason you don't have a license to drive is as a result of a suspension for any reason, you may not legally operate any motor vehicle - which includes even an electric assisted bicycle, on the public roads.

http://www.oregon.gov/ODOT/DMV/vehicle/pocketbike_factsheet.shtml

15. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I'm not tryin to be deviant, cynical or any of the rest here but I wish to put a spin on things. "MOTOR ASSISTED" nothing!

If you get stopped and they even ask or act like they've got a problem with the bike then you are better off not saying nothing more than needed. If asked, I was using the pedals, period! Well I heard it running. I told you I was using the pedals, sure I was trying to start it but it wouldn't run. Well I clocked you at 25mph and it's hot. Could have been the friction from tryin to start it, had to pedal real hard to get it going that fast. Lawyer please- PERIOD!

I'm almost thinking about making a small key or interlock out of a toothpick or something. Something that could be easily replaced after a "panic stop" and looks real innocent on the ground after you pull it and drop it. If the bike goes to the impound, all the better. Your Honor, the officer accussed me of having the bike running. I didn't have the key on me that night, nor was one found in my possesion. How do you think that Judge would rule?

I'd like Hough's oppinion on this because he deals with it more. Think a key would help your side?

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  16. sangesf

sangesf Banned

That's just frigging stupid, you can ride a low speed electric bike without a license but ONLY if you license is not suspended. That's the most rediculous thing I've ever heard. Where did they come up with that you must be ELLEGABLE to get a license. Insane!!
    Oregon must have had slot of people lose their license for DUIs that then rode mopeds then they prolly changed the law from not needing a license for a moped to needing one because those DUI people started using mopeds to get around and then those same people started riding electric bikes but still rode them drunk so they said screw that and made it the way it stands today. In NJ. You're not even allowed to ride an electric bike AT ALL on public roads for the exact reason I just stated about for Oregon.

17. machiasmort

machiasmort Active Member

I been sayin for a while, well just lemee say, Welcome to the New World Order :whistling:

18. SimpleSimon

Frankly, anyone stupid enough to drive while under the influence - be that influence alcohol, marijuana, or many other perception and reaction altering chemicals, deserves suspension of the privilrege of operating machinery - anything more complicated than a zipper, IMO.

"Nanny-state" my aching arse - your "rights" do NOT include the right to endanger others. If your past behavior demonstrates so little concern for the safety of those arround you, you ought to be prevented from further endangering others until such time as you demonstrate, through some reasonable period of responsible behavior, a sensible awareness of your own limits.

19. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Believe me, if one is unfortunate enough to have their life tragically visited by the horror of a loved one wastefully taken out by the wanton act of a drunk driver, if you had to endure the subsequent useless and wistful apologies of newfound sobriety....too late....there is no other way to view this.

20. SimpleSimon

I'm 53 years old. In my lifetime I've lost a little brother (whom I watched die as the result of the actions of a man in a drunken rage), three close cousins, and 7 friends to drunkenness - either their own, or that of others. I've cried my own tears, and done what little I could to provide comfort to loved ones as they tried to cope with the loss themselves.

I have zero sympathy for drunks or those who get high and act irresponsibly. While I believe that adults should be permitted any behavior they want not harmful to others, I draw the line there. If your actions put others at unreasonable risk of bodily harm, then you need externally imposed restraints. If you don't like that, don't act stupidly.