Well, it's not a motorbike....but

Discussion in 'Whizzer Motorized Bicycles' started by frizzy, Apr 13, 2011.

1. frizzy

frizzy Member

I was at an auction on Sunday for classic motorcycles, etc. A gentleman was selling off most of his collection of vintage Cushman Scooters at no reserve. Well, I bought one. It's a 1947 Cushman model 50 step thru scooter. Runs great, rebuilt engine, trans. and no rust. I suppose I'll restore it when I have the time. It's a real piece of American History. Here's some pictures.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

2. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

It's good.

There was one of those in the showroom of a local International Harvester dealer for years.

They shut their doors a few years ago. I wonder what's become of it.

3. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Very neat. I wish I had known about that auction (and I do check Auction Zip every week). I would have been there too had I known. I guess it was over 50 miles away from me as that is my default search area. Was it near Springfield?

4. frizzy

frizzy Member

Yes, it was at Wm. Bunch Auction House. Right on Rt 202 near US Rt. 1 in Concordville, Pa. It's there 9th annual Classic Motorcycle Aution. A lot of really cool vintage stuff was sold. I go every year, usually just to enjoy the auction, but this year they had this Cushman collection. WOW what a surprise. Great deals on all of the scooters. The seller is a really neat guy who had them for years, rebuilt and took care of them all.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011
  5. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Hmmm, that's within my range on AuctionZip. I wonder how I missed that?
    Here's a neat 1943 Cushman my brother has. It's a model of which only eight were built, all prototypes for the military. It never went into production. We feel the likely cause for that was that is was too unstable, too tippy. Only two are still thought to exist.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2011
  6. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I like it !!

7. frizzy

frizzy Member

WOW. What a rare cushman, I love it. When I was in the service (1965) My sergant used to ride around the base in a vintage Vespa scooter. Oh wait, back then it was a current model, not vintage. Oh well 35 years later, it's now would be a vintage vespa. LOL

8. frizzy

frizzy Member

The restoration is under way. I found a picture of what I would like my Cushman to look like when finished. What do ya think?

Attached Files:

9. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

Looks like your Cushman comes with the difficult to find parts like the seat and bodywork. It should be a fun restoration.

10. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

Do you know that here is a " Cushman Club of America ? " Also, " Dennis Carpenter " sells many restoratation parts. Do a search for both.

11. frizzy

frizzy Member

Hi Guys, I've been busy lately. The restoration is 99% completed. Here are some pics.

Attached Files:

12. KilroyCD

KilroyCD Active Member

Beautiful work! That's one nice looking Cushman.

13. rustycase

rustycase Banned

Very nice looking Cushman !
    Would you post pics of the mechanicals?
    Tnx
    rc

14. frizzy

frizzy Member

Some of the mechanical pics.

Attached Files:

15. looks like funn to ride what side is the engine ?

16. frizzy

frizzy Member

All done, her's some pics.

Attached Files:

17. nice work what size engine

18. tone2crazy

tone2crazy Member

very nice work. looks like it just came off the showroom floor.

19. noisydad

noisydad New Member

Outstanding! Those motors have a really sweet sound, too.