What are the newest laws on motorized bikes In Virginia?

First, the code on their website should be current.

Found this:

§ 46.2-800. Riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, or mopeds; riding or driving animals.
Every person riding a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, moped, or an animal or driving an animal on a highway shall be subject to the provisions of this chapter and shall have all of the rights and duties applicable to the driver of a vehicle, unless the context of the provision clearly indicates otherwise.

The provisions of subsections A and C of § 46.2-920 applicable to operation of emergency vehicles under emergency conditions shall also apply, mutatis mutandis, to bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds operated under similar emergency conditions by law-enforcement officers.

Code 1950, § 46-183; 1958, c. 541, § 46.1-171; 1980, c. 456; 1981, c. 585; 1989, c. 727; 1994, c. 176; 2001, c. 834; 2002, c. 254.

Highlighted in red the relevant part according to your question.

I think this is it:

§ 46.2-905. Riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, electric power-assisted bicycles, and mopeds on roadways and bicycle paths.
Any person operating a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, or moped on a roadway at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place under conditions then existing shall ride as close as safely practicable to the right curb or edge of the roadway, except under any of the following circumstances:

1. When overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction;

2. When preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway;

3. When reasonably necessary to avoid conditions including, but not limited to, fixed or moving objects, parked or moving vehicles, pedestrians, animals, surface hazards, or substandard width lanes that make it unsafe to continue along the right curb or edge;

4. When avoiding riding in a lane that must turn or diverge to the right; and

5. When riding upon a one-way road or highway, a person may also ride as near the left-hand curb or edge of such roadway as safely practicable.

For purposes of this section, a "substandard width lane" is a lane too narrow for a bicycle, electric personal assistive mobility device, electric power-assisted bicycle, motorized skateboard or foot-scooter, or moped and another vehicle to pass safely side by side within the lane.

Persons riding bicycles, electric personal assistive mobility devices, or electric power-assisted bicycles on a highway shall not ride more than two abreast. Persons riding two abreast shall not impede the normal and reasonable movement of traffic, shall move into a single file formation as quickly as is practicable when being overtaken from the rear by a faster moving vehicle, and, on a laned roadway, shall ride in a single lane.

Notwithstanding any other provision of law to the contrary, the Department of Conservation and Recreation shall permit the operation of electric personal assistive mobility devices on any bicycle path or trail designated by the Department for such use.

1974, c. 347, § 46.1-229.1; 1980, c. 130; 1981, c. 585; 1989, c. 727; 2001, c. 834; 2002, c. 254; 2003, cc. 29, 46; 2004, cc. 947, 973; 2006, cc. 529, 538; 2007, cc. 209, 366; 2013, c. 783.

I think they just want you to ride as close to the right side of the road. I would call your local DMV and ask them what they think about it. Of course that wouldn't be legal advice but maybe they could offer something. That's what I did. Couldn't afford an attorney. I think as long as you are not impeding traffic and riding out of control you should be fine.

/ I'm not a lawyer nor is this legal advice.

AHHHHH, here ya go:

§ 46.2-914. Limitations on operation of mopeds.
A. No moped shall be driven on any highway or public vehicular area faster than 35 miles per hour. Any person who operates a moped faster than 35 miles per hour shall be deemed, for all the purposes of this title, to be operating a motorcycle.

B. No moped shall be driven on any highway by any person under the age of 16, and every person driving a moped shall carry with him a government-issued form of photo identification that includes his name, address, and date of birth.

C. Operation of mopeds is prohibited on any Interstate Highway System component.

Violation of any provision of this section shall constitute a traffic infraction punishable by a fine of no more than $50.

Anyone know what the newest up to date laws on motorized bikes are in virginia? From what I see they are classified as mopeds? and if so how to regeister/ title?
Yes MBs are considered Mopeds and need to be titled and registered. Make sure you claim 50cc or less or you're bumped up to motor driven cycle (motorcycle).

When you go to the DMV to register don't mention Motorized Bicycle or say you put an engine kit on your bicycle. You are there to register your old (1977) moped that's been setting in the shed for years and the title is long lost.

Everything is self certify on DMV forms and you'll need to have one of them notarized. The link below has the forms you can print out. Only take the forms to the DMV, don't take your Motorized Bicycle...um I mean Moped, haha!

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#moped.asp

Yes MBs are considered Mopeds and need to be titled and registered. Make sure you claim 50cc or less or you're bumped up to motor driven cycle (motorcycle).

When you go to the DMV to register don't mention Motorized Bicycle or say you put an engine kit on your bicycle. You are there to register your old (1977) moped that's been setting in the shed for years and the title is long lost.

Everything is self certify on DMV forms and you'll need to have one of them notarized. The link below has the forms you can print out. Only take the forms to the DMV, don't take your Motorized Bicycle...um I mean Moped, haha!

https://www.dmv.virginia.gov/vehicles/#moped.asp
the form says you have to put a VIN number ........ how did you get tthis to work if you said it was a old moped ? any tips

I'm actually going through this process currently and from my research, you can claim a motorized bicycle as a custom made moped which by nature has no title, VIN, or registration so the DMV should be able to walk you through the steps to get it fully registered and street legal. To apply for a title/VIN you must provide the DMV with bills of sale or other proof of ownership for the motor, transmission, and frame/body (receipt for the bicycle kit should be acceptable if bought from a reputable source). Also, the form says they take a $130 fee ($5 for VIN application, $125 for inspection) but since that is mainly meant for custom car VIN numbers and i haven't gone through the process yet I don't know if that will be lowered/waived due to the nature of our "vehicles" since it needs considerably less inspection time.

In Virginia to qualify as a moped it must:
  • Has no more than 3 wheels that are in contact with the road.
  • Has a seat that is no lower than 24 inches in height.
  • Has a gasoline motor that is less than 50cc (electric needs to be less than 1500 watts)
  • Has a maximum speed of less than 35mph.
If it exceeds the last two its considered a motorcycle.

The following provisions apply to mopeds operating on Virginia roadways. They do not apply to mopeds that are solely operated on private property.

• Virginia law requires that every moped driver operating on Virginia roadways carry a government-issued photo ID (does not have to be a driver’s license).
  • Every driver and passenger must wear a helmet* while riding a moped. Drivers must also wear a face shield, safety glasses or goggles unless the moped has a windshield.
  • Operation of mopeds is prohibited on the interstate.
  • In Virginia, you must be at least age 16 to drive a moped.
  • It is illegal to drive a moped if your license is suspended or revoked for convictions of DUI, underage consumption of alcohol, refusing a blood/breath test, or driving while suspended/revoked for a DUI-related offense.
  • If your driving privilege is suspended or revoked due to a DUI-related conviction, you must be in full compliance with all requirements imposed by DMV and the court before operating a moped.
  • Customers with outstanding fines for HOT lane or toll violations cannot register any motor vehicle, including mopeds, until those fines have been paid.
* Virginia State Police-approved helmet required for moped riders. Helmets should meet or exceed the standards and specifications of the Snell Memorial Foundation, the American National Standards Institute, Inc., or the U.S. Department of Transportation.

Hope this helps!

Back