What can YOU build from a Cranbrook ???

Those bikes look sweet, but I'm looking for something I can ride a couple hundred miles in a day without having to worry about mechanical issues. I may paint the black China tank and black Staton friction drive kit something close to the cream color on my blue and cream colored bike to make it less noticeable.

A rounded cruiser frame looks great with a frame mounted engine, I thought about going with one of those 4G 4 strokes with an automatic clutch, and either a ready made rear wheel, or a disc brake mountain bike wheel to avoid the rag joint sprocket. That only leaves the tensioner.

I own a '79 Yamaha MX175 dirt bike with a blown engine, and cannot find parts to fix it. The rest of the bike is in good shape. It has a spring loaded chain tensioner bolted to the rear swingarm, which uses a nylon rubbing block instead of a roller. It is fairly large and substantial for a bicycle. If I can find the right (high quality steel) frame, I'm thinking about welding a thick steel plate to the chain stay to mount this thing too. I have also considered welding a 3/16" piece of 1 1/2" wide steel stock between the seat stay and chain stay to mount a rubbing block on. It would have too be something really substantial that couldn't break or bend.

ACE Hardware "Navaho White" in spray can is the closest you will get to the Cranbrook cream- that's what I used on my "Beach Breeze" (Go to my public profile and check out 'all albums' to look at 'beach breeze'). Mounting a HT motor on a Cranny is not too hard- the newer motor kits have larger mounts. Even with the older kits, there's ways to do it. You will have to open up the big hole in the HT sprocket and I recommend a hub mount over the rag mount. Make sure you use the 415 chain for final drive... some kits have bicycle chain on board. If you wind up getting the 'High performance' carburettor, I can talk you through the process of making it work beautifully. I also recommend soldering the ground wire off the coil of the magneto to the black wire- look in the electrical section, there's some pictures of the process. Yes, I know.... several fussy little things... but you WILL wind up with a RELIABLE machine when you are done! I've got a LOT of miles on mine, and I could do showroom with only a clean and turtlewax. Crannies are not the flimsy things some people are used to- but then, mine never goes off the road and packs no speed gear, I drive with remarkable care and assist the bike by pedaling whenever feasable. I expect many more years out of this thing and I doubt I'll be dissapointed.
the Old Sgt.

Well, the basic bike is done. I don't even have the engine ordered yet so it will be awhile before I show anymore. While I'm waiting on the kit, I'll finish up the details, body work and get a paint job on it. What do you think, shiny or fresh barn find flat?? I still have to make a seat post, Just put it on like this for the pics :unsure: I also have to figure out how to make wheel discs for it. I want them to look like spun aluminum solid disk wheels.
Just note: I have used almost all of the original Cranbrook. Most of the work went into the frame. Changed the top tubes, rake and molding. The handlebars are just cut down. The seat was stripped, pan and pad reshaped and recovered with the stock cover. At least it doesn't say Huffy on the back anymore!
Well, let me know what you think it so far and if there are any custom cranbrooks out there, please, let me see them!

suitcasejefferson....IF you're looking for something to ride a COUPLE HUNDRED miles a day you might want to consider something a little more stout than a bicycle. I'm NOT saying that our bikes won't do it but..........................................

Attachments

• cb1.JPG
    cb1.JPG
    89 KB · Views: 268
  • cb2.JPG
    cb2.JPG
    77.2 KB · Views: 247
  • cb3.JPG
    cb3.JPG
    79.5 KB · Views: 248
  • cb4.JPG
    cb4.JPG
    82.4 KB · Views: 254
Last edited:
nice job! great looking bike, love the seat, but its kinda hard to believe it will hold up and not bend down, I need to offset my seat back but I'm not sure how I want to do it yet

Thank you! I know there is no way the seat will work the way it is. I just mounted it like that to get the pics. I'll make a proper mount for it tomorrow.

Well, I get to work on the bike now and then so this is what I have now.
My goal for this build was to take a new Cranbrook and build something that
no one would recognize as one. The only added parts are the spring legs, rockers and mounts. The rest is all Cranbrook! Almost all have been modified.
Frame had the top tubes changed, raked and molded. Seat post re welded.
stripped the seat, cut 1/2 to 1 inch off the pan, reshaped the foam and stretched the stock cover back on. Cut the stock bars, modded the kick stand and welded the wheel slots in the fork so the bushings would work. Now, I need your help with the wheels. I want them to look like spun aluminum solid discs. I have seen wheel discs but can't find them for sale anywhere. Found lots of stuff on how to make them but most look .......well, not so good, have a visible seam or are a bear to make! Any ideas??? anyone??
That's about it for now. I'll post again when I get more done.

Attachments

• 007.JPG
    007.JPG
    89.3 KB · Views: 236
  • 008.JPG
    008.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 228
  • 010.JPG
    010.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 011.JPG
    011.JPG
    82.3 KB · Views: 239
Nice. Mine is still basically stock, except for removing the fenders and installing a China gas tank. Not really going for looks, as it is a friction drive. I would like to move my seat back a bit too, but so far have not found any way to do it. I tried it on another bike with an offset BMX stem, but the stem just bent under my 220 pounds. I also bent the seatpost on one of those chopper bikes once, because it was angled too far back. It didn't bend all at once, but over time I started noticing it. One thing I did do on the Cranbrook, and have done on a few other bikes, was to drill a 3/16" hole through the frame and seatpost when I got the seat height exactly where I wanted it, and screwed a 1/4" grade 8 Allen bolt into it. Being slightly larger than the hole, it cut it's own threads, and screwed in tight, locking the seatpost in place. I found that neither a quick release clamp or a bolt would hold the seatpost in place with my weight on it. I have put over 300 miles on it so far, and am surprised I haven't broken any spokes in the rear wheel.

My goal for this build was to take a new Cranbrook and build something that no one would recognize as one.

Let me be the first to say you've accomplished your goal. I had to go back to the first post to remind myself what a Cranbrook looks like before you get ahold of one! The original bike was just a source of raw material. You're a sculptor in tubing. :bowdown:

I've got a cranbrook that im trying to board track racer-ize too! I cut off the ends of the stock handle bars to try and pull of the look. I was also thinking about the classic spring forks. How would you go about making one with a stock fork?

Heres the beaut

Attachments

• IMG_2181.jpg
    IMG_2181.jpg
    174.6 KB · Views: 284
Back