What happened when your HT seized?

i was going 30mph on my street around a corner when all the sudden my rear tire locked up and it took me a seconde to think what happened then i notcied the engine wasent running so i pulled in the clutch real quick. i left a 10-15 foot skid mark on the road. luckily no 1 was behinde me and i was paying attention. if you are holding on with one hand or multitasking or in traffic you might just be screwed. i jolted off my seat but i was holding on pretty good so i ddint go over the handle bars or anything. no injuries to me or the bike.
thanks,
cody

i was going 30mph on my street around a corner when all the sudden my rear tire locked up and it took me a seconde to think what happened then i notcied the engine wasent running so i pulled in the clutch real quick. i left a 10-15 foot skid mark on the road. luckily no 1 was behinde me and i was paying attention. if you are holding on with one hand or multitasking or in traffic you might just be screwed. i jolted off my seat but i was holding on pretty good so i ddint go over the handle bars or anything. no injuries to me or the bike.
thanks,
cody
cspaur13 - You remained pretty cool in the moment and 30 clicks is not a Sunday drive with granny either.

Sounds like you've been around bikes for a while. How did you develop that skill?

you never know wha to expect with these little china motors. its like a ticking time bomb just waiting to go off. i always pay attention to the bike .
not really got into moterized bikes before christmas. but i learned to ride a dirtbike at the age of 8. i've had my fair share of falls on dirtbikes.

:bowdown:
broken legs
lump on the nogen
decapitation
We want graphic details, this ain't a bigwheel board
Maybe - but not that easy, unless you've got a friend at DOT scanning the videos for your mishap that you don't know when it's going to happen.

I would like to see some racing pics. Anyone got any?

That is the best survival strategy plus to PRACTICE emergency maneuvers in a safe place (braking& swerving),so that you can respond quickly.You wont have time to mull things over.
On the subject of chain tensioners the only reason to have one in the first place is that there are two chains to contend with,if the rear sprocket is not mounted properly it should be corrected with a better mounting like the 'clamshell' type.That should obviate the necessity of needing one.If there are two chains to take care of let the engine chain to be the primary one,that's where potential trouble lurks,so clearly this chain needs to be adjusted first if there are horizontal dropouts permitting this.Any slack in the other chain is not of that much consequence and is of course irrelevant with a deraileur setup.
With vertical dropouts a chain tensioner cannot be avoided.But I cannot understand why the type that put a substantial 'kink' in the chain (sometimes 30 degrees or more) is being used.This works fine as long as the engine is driving the bike,but puts a lot of transverse force on the tensioner when starting up and a great deal more if the engine seizes.The result can be that the tensioner gets dislodged from it's moorings,ends up in the rear wheel.Result a(highspeed) crash.If you do the analysis of forces ,you can show easily that the force on the tensioner is roughly proportional to the chain tension times the kink angle,so if it is 30 degrees instead of 10.It will 300lbs instead of 100.Moral of the story keep the angle as small as possible and use a solidl&robust type if it cannot be dislpensed with alltogether/

Last edited by a moderator:
Back