what sort of cheap welder can i buy to build frames and fix old ones? thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Though he and I don't usually agree, I'm with Bob here.These bikes are quite risky as is with a sound frame, we all know an AL frame is a disaster waiting to happen with MAB stresses.So if you aren't qualified, maybe have a friend with the equipment show you how for a while, to get your skills up, but don't start with something that holds your life on two wheels.One gremlins opinion.

Thanks guys! i shall get the pros to do it for me as i found out they are rather cheap haha, thank you all for any help. as i will buy a gassless mig, but only for my other projects i am doing, not for bikes thanks :)

I would recommend trying to find someone to do the welding for you. I dont think its necessarily the best thing to do yourself.. its not the safest and easiest thing to do.

dont be a sissy and learn a new skill! at 16, the world is yours...

get a stick welder, lumps of steel, read some material, sleep on it and go play! learn what its all about!

such as that the current flowing through the material being welded has nothing to do with weld embrittlement, but that the simple gradient of temperatures from molten weld puddle to cold parent metal causes localised hardening and tempering in alloy steels. alloy being anything other than plain old mild steel. hardening means brittle means break without heat treatment.

a good safety factor is to make the tubes thicker. i judge a bikes weldability by its weight. heavy frame...thick, low quality steel. probably just mild steel. weld away! lightweight and delicate...cromo, tempered, already near limits of stress under normal use...leave alone or braze. only weld cheap bikes is another system...

gusseting and judicial use of braces can work. what youre welding and where youre welding can be major factors.

while the basics are simple, it leads into chemistry, physics and metallurgy. it can be quite complex. but the basics remain the same. melt, mix, cool. too easy :)

sometimes i steck weld frames just cus its less hassle getting it out :eek:

Learning a new skill is a good thing, making/riding a frame before those skills are refined is foolish at best.35 mph on a bike with questionable welds, I can think of better ways to play Russian roulette.

pk thanks guys, i bought a 140 amp gas less mig and its great, i welded the steering assembly of a VW beach buggy, )(4mm stew) and it was great, did a few tests with weights act and it was pretty strong :) thanks for all the help guys

Is there a web page showing it? I'd like to see what you bought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back