What's the safest way to remove paint from a 66cc motorized bike engine?

aquielisunari

Local time
10:15 PM
I don't have an air compressor. I'll be stripping, prepping and doing more prepping before I paint everything but the engine has me worried. I am considering a wire wheel for the engine but would like suggestions from those who know. Getting between the fins seems like it might be a bit tricky. Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.s. I will of course be using high temp primer and paint for the engine.

Take apart and bead blast it is how I do it. Here is a part I blasted getting ready to do the machine work on my 1971 Triumph.

Hang the bike upside down and immerse the head in an ~ice cream bucket of ~something, as deep as you safely can go.

Thats the hardest bit done.

Put on top of a willing friend's head, get a shotgun with birdshot and aim for the paint.

No actually that's not a good idea... Get a glass container, or metal or even certain plastics, spray it with oven cleaning foam. Eats the paint right off, wash off with tons of water and keep it off your skin.

Put on top of a willing friend's head, get a shotgun with birdshot and aim for the paint.

No actually that's not a good idea... Get a glass container, or metal or even certain plastics, spray it with oven cleaning foam. Eats the paint right off, wash off with tons of water and keep it off your skin.

Further tip is if u swap nozzles, u can use those precision aim spray tube nozzles some pressure paks come with - save nozzles from empties. I did manage to find the tubes in china - they are very losable.

On 2nd thoughts, be warned, oven cleaner is mainly caustic soda? and they warn against its corrosive effects on alloy

if u must, be sure its cleaned off

On 2nd thoughts, be warned, oven cleaner is mainly caustic soda? and they warn against its corrosive effects on alloy

if u must, be sure its cleaned off
I'm debating with myself about the same thing, it's aluminum casting, and the oven cleaner could possibly be a bad thing, it's hard to say for certain, I wish I had some oven cleaner on hand, I have the spare cylinder from a bunked motor, has black paint on it, I'd willingly test the process and post results... Maybe I'll pick up a can later tonight and put my own butt on the firing line.

Back