Whizzer wiring (color wise)

RFaust

Local time
4:16 AM
Just thought I'd ramble on a bit about my encounter with the wiring harness and color codes for the "whizz" last night. Oh sure, I printed out the PDF wiring file posted here, which is super great, but then again I found some colored wires not even on the diagram, or better yet some of wires coming from the switches colored with a stripe having to go into a solid completely different colored wire. But after awhile I got everything working, blinkers, front and rear lights and when hand spinning the engine I even got a spark out of the plug resting against the head, which made my evening complete! Lucky for me the guy who bought my 2005 NE5 has not picked it up yet so I was able to easily trace some found unknowns. On both bikes there are a few unused ends, and for some reason a spare wire hot wire going and just sitting in the tail light housing with nothing to connect to. Glad I had a continuity tester and a long life 12 volts bat.
I found on this 2000 Pacemaker it uses a round flasher type unit (has a 4 wire white plug with yellow, black, grey and yellow/black wires) where as the 2005 NE5 using the same white plastic plug with same colored wires goes into a solid state black unit which looks just like the CDI.
Well that's my rambling.
Robert Faust
Redwood City

Last edited by a moderator:
I know what you mean. Despite having the wiring diagram, I had a few questionable wires to figure out as well (That's blue? Ya gotta be kidding me!). Is your Whizzer equipped with turn signals? If not, that would explain the unused hot wire going to the tail light housing.

Yes I'm running blinkers and everything is working fine, yet still have the extra lead. The 6 position plug from main wiring harness feeding the back tail light: 1) Grey (is the spare and it's a hot lead), 2) Green feeds tail light, 3) Orange feeds left blinker, 4) Black feeds common ground, 5) Yellow feed brake light, 6) Dark Green feeds right blinker. As I mentioned, it's a good thing I have a continuity tester. The wonderful thing about these things is they are so fun to work on. Last night was really a fun evening tracing out and getting everything working. Put on some great opera, a nice big glass of Three Olives Pomegranate Vodka on the rocks and a warm garage. OH, lets not forget some corn chips too!
Robert Faust

Last edited by a moderator:
Put on some great opera, a nice big glass of Three Olives Pomegranate Vodka on the rocks and a warm garage. OH, lets not forget some corn chips too!

A warm garage? Oh, how I envy you. In fact, I envy you for having a garage with room to work! My garage (one-car) is packed with 28 bikes, two push mowers, one riding mower and a 16 1/2' kayak. That's in adition to the bike work stand, a generator and several other things. In other words, everything fits together like a Rubik's Cube. I even bought mover's dollies to put under the center stands of three bikes (including the Whizzer) to make it easier for me to move them into place!

Back