California Motor Bikes Pk 80 wiring

gearhead437

Local time
6:51 AM
Dear fellow gearheads-Before anyone wips out the wet noodle to beat me, please understand that my Grubbee 49cc had a kill switch connection that went to the frame. A black and blue wire are coming out of the magneto, a black and blue are coming out of the CDI and the kill switch has a green wire and a black with white strip wire. The CDI has 2 dual female bullet connectors, so I'm assuming that the magneto black and blue connect to their corresponding colored wires in the CDI. The kill switch, regardless of it's wire colors, just wires in parallel to the CDI, correct? I'm getting ready to extend the kill switch leads by 6-8" which is why I'd like to know.TIA:)-Gearhead222

BTW, extending the kill switch leads was a huge PITA, as the original wire guage is very small. I had to strengthen the soldered connections with extra heatshrink tubing and then cover them with a larger and longer heat shrink sleeve, so that the kill switch harness will take some stress. Didn't have to do this with my Cranbrook. Am guessing that the Hyper Cruiser needs a longer harness due to the higher set handlebars-Gearhead437

Yup, the wires should go to the same colors. I don't know how I managed to use the original length wires with my handlebars on my cranbrook.

Attachments

• 20230715_205212.jpg
    20230715_205212.jpg
    212.2 KB · Views: 69
Dear fellow gearheads-Before anyone wips out the wet noodle to beat me, please understand that my Grubbee 49cc had a kill switch connection that went to the frame. A black and blue wire are coming out of the magneto, a black and blue are coming out of the CDI and the kill switch has a green wire and a black with white strip wire. The CDI has 2 dual female bullet connectors, so I'm assuming that the magneto black and blue connect to their corresponding colored wires in the CDI. The kill switch, regardless of it's wire colors, just wires in parallel to the CDI, correct? I'm getting ready to extend the kill switch leads by 6-8" which is why I'd like to know.TIA:)-Gearhead222
You got 'er. Either side works, it's only a momentary switch.

The safer way is to just stop, pull the clutch if you want to continue on though.

Am guessing that the Hyper Cruiser needs a longer harness due to the higher set handlebars-Gearhead437
I would say that your Grubee set up has shorter wiring than either my Zeda 80 or my Phantom 85 I replaced the Zeda with because I had plenty of wiring length to work with on both...I didn't have to modify the wiring at all on either one.

Dear fellow motorheads-Am poitive that the height of the Hyper Cruiser handles is what caused me to lengthen the kill switch circuit-let's hope that it works! Extended the stock harness by 8" and it was almost too short! Have to receive and install the Tektro front brake, and am waiting for that brake and cable set. Will be installing the 415 chain and tensioner assembly tommorrow and hopefully tightening all of the engine mount fasteners once the chain alignment checks out. Keeping fingers crossed:)-Gearhead437

Am poitive that the height of the Hyper Cruiser handles is what caused me to lengthen the kill switch circuit-let's hope that it works! Extended the stock harness by 8" and it was almost too short!
You must have a very short wiring harness then...I have had both the Zeda 80 as well as the Phantom 85 on this same frame and my wires on both were actually longer than needed as you can see in the pic...It is not the Hyper handle bars etc...It is the length of the wiring that came with your Grubbee setup as I had mentioned previously...Both my aforementioned kits came with nice long wiring right out of the box.

DSCN0381.JPG

Back