Who on here DOESN'T use kit motors?

It is going to be next to impossible to arrive at the needed ratios without a pulley reduction somewhere in the system.

If you run a 2.5" pulley on the motor and a rear sheave [Whizzer type], the ratio will be 6.3 X 1 and the low HP motor won't pull the bike. If you try to use a smaller pulley on the motor, chances are the belt will slip too much. The Whizzer system is approx 9 X 1 and has twice as much power as the Clinton motor. I would guess the ratio with the small motor would need to be at least 12 X 1 or higher. Another reason to use a pulley reduction system is to move the rear belt drive inward to align with the rear wheel [like Whizzer does].

As far as going 40 to 45, I would say it is almost impossible with less than 2 HP. I would think getting to 35 MPH might even be hard to achieve.

I am not trying to discourage you, but you might want to have a "back-up" plan with higher ratios for the small HP motor.

Hope this information is helpful.

Have fun,

So, I've looking around on this forum for a few months, and I see very few bikes that don't use the kit motors, even fewer bikes that are belt driven. I myself like the old timeish look of the old washing machine and other engines like that. I have one bike done, (it's not exactly street legal, but it's fun in parades), and I'm working on another one (this one will be legal to ride on the rode, at least when I turn 15) with a 1 1/2 horse Clinton engine. :D I wanted to make it look like a kid in the 50's found an engine and made it in his garage. (Basically what I'm doing but I'm making it to look old). Anyway, my whole point is I get the kit engines are cheap and easy to install, but why not spend a little more and use an older like lawn mower engine and put on there? I realize that the weight is an issue, but I personally think that the dependability would outweigh the weight issue... But that's just a kid's opinion! Tell me what you think. Thanks!
if you want to keep it on the road ....you need to know how its built and what you have in it...period. I know how to fix ..to a point then ask if you dont know its usualy some thing simple and smackn your self on forehead simple dont give up learn .

Have you thought about useing Z shaped tabes that would rivit or bolt to the rim and then go down and bolt or rivit to the pully........just like the old timmers...........Curt

Yeah! See, I'm going to use tabs to attach it to the rim, only I'm going to weld it to the rim and I think bolt it to the pulley. Maybe weld to both I don't know yet, it depends on how it works out and fits on the rim.

Back