Who uses a motored bike as a daily commuter?

I know this shouldn't be, but this is my first time posting. The original thread here was about problems encountered when commuting daily. I just finished putting together a staton chain drive kit with the gxh50 4 cycle. I plan on (Lord willing) commuting about 50 miles 1 way every day. I'm hoping that a lot of basic maintenance and TLC along with very flat roads (coastal plain) will add up to a lot of trouble free miles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this motor is THAT dependable. The cost of driving that distance with my car (40 mpg) coupled with all the miles I have on it (326,000) is becoming ill affordable. I'll be running it through the ropes this summer and "practicing" my commute since it's so long.

I promise...I'll post in the new members section soon :)

I haven't had a problem using caged bearings but I always change them to loose balls. More bearing surface area can't hurt.

Moth

Hi Moth -- I owned a bicycle shop a long time ago !!! I mean A LONG TIME AGO !!! Anyway thinking back in regards to replacing bearings -- yes, nothing wrong with removing cages -- as long as the new bearing count -- as many as will fit into the race -- comes real close to filling all gaps ---- because if not -- will cause wear.. If when finished we hear or feel a click click -- bearing contact is too lose -- if we can not add one more bearing -- maybe best to find bearings with cage.. Happy Riding from Mountainman

50 Miles Woah, :eek: Have you thought about moving? Getting a little room near your office for 3 to 4 days a week. Boarding house apartment etc. Thats around $650 a month Gas and payments on a 6000 dollar car. Taking the IRS rate thats about $12,500 a year cost to operate the car. My figures are rought estimates. I don't know how tough you are but you have a lot of odds stacked against you for getting hurt when your on a bike that long everyday.

I know this shouldn't be, but this is my first time posting. The original thread here was about problems encountered when commuting daily. I just finished putting together a staton chain drive kit with the gxh50 4 cycle. I plan on (Lord willing) commuting about 50 miles 1 way every day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Terminal, I hope you have a full suspension bike, and a very cushy seat. My commute is 32 miles each way, and even with a stadium seat pad on my trike, I still stop at a rest area at 18 mile to get a little blood circulation in the nether regions.

Yesterday was the Kluane Chikat International Bike race on my commute route. I was riding the opposite direction of the race. I went by most of them while they were in about the 130 mile area of their ride. Got a lot of envious looks.

Last edited by a moderator:
I rode mine to school for a long time without any problem and alot of fun. Every day, for maybe about 2 months. Just about 2 miles but It was still worth riding because the bus takes about 30 to get to and out of traffic at school and driving a car is just ridiculous for 2 miles. Plus it takes way longer to get out of after school traffic than if I take my happy time bicycle and just lane split the slow moving cars. so I usually get out of school and home before the cars anyhow. And it feels really good to be able to part 30 feet from the school instead of in a parking lot that you have to pay for.

The main advantage is that you can go almost anywhere where people can walk because its not a car and its technically a bicycle.
For example, after school track practice, everyone has to park about 300 feet away and walk to the track but I could literally ride into the track feild and just park agaisnt the fence, which saves alot of time and gets you out and back home quicker that having to walk to the car.

Also traffic lights are alot more friendly on bikes because you can just treat it like you were a pedestrian and ride on the shoulder of the rode and go through empty intersections instead of feeling paranoid if you pass a red in a car.

Basicly its alot more flexible and I think alot of people would choose a motorized bicycle if they knew about it.

Does anyone know about vibrations, my daily commute does alot of stress on the mount and one of the screws in the back came out.

If we want that screw TO REALLY STAY IN -- a little JB weld added to the threads before tightening -- usually can still be broken loose when wanted -- for use when I want something more than lock-tight -- used also at times on sloppy worn out threads. Happy Riding from Mountainman

Sabre: I've considered the safety aspect of this...I don't like it, but I think it is manageable. I'll leave before 5 am. I don't think there'll be too much traffic at that time. Compared to what I'm saving in fuel, vehicle maintenance and the cost of housing (housing is very expensive in virginia beach), it's worth the risk. I just need to make sure I am extra careful and extra visible. I'm actually more worried about breaking down half way to work!! 25 miles takes a lot longer at 15 MPH compared to 30. I teach, and when I'm late I'm wasting more than just an hour of my time, I'm wasting 30 hours of students time.

Alaska: It's a cheap full suspension bike. I've already done 40ish miles straight through. Manageable after I make some comfort adjustments. I just put a "bench seat" on it from walmart. Terrible for pedalling, but so far, pretty good on comfort when just motoring around. I rode 15 miles to church today and then back. Both Ways, seat comfort was very good...hand comfort was to be desired:???:. I need to raise the handlebars, but because its a cheap bike I don't think I can without replacing them:mad:. I think my plan is to test the feasability of this kind of commute. If all goes well I will upgrade to a recumbent. My wife and I already have a tandem rec. and love it. Never thought I would go back to a regular bike...

I know this shouldn't be, but this is my first time posting. The original thread here was about problems encountered when commuting daily. I just finished putting together a staton chain drive kit with the gxh50 4 cycle. I plan on (Lord willing) commuting about 50 miles 1 way every day. I'm hoping that a lot of basic maintenance and TLC along with very flat roads (coastal plain) will add up to a lot of trouble free miles. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that this motor is THAT dependable. The cost of driving that distance with my car (40 mpg) coupled with all the miles I have on it (326,000) is becoming ill affordable. I'll be running it through the ropes this summer and "practicing" my commute since it's so long.

I promise...I'll post in the new members section soon :)

My hat's off to you! I'm VERY curious to hear your experiences once you start this commute. My proposed commute is 19 miles each way. It would not be feasible for me to do this every day though, as my wife sometimes rides with me to work. I could probably find at least 2 days a week I could do it, though. I'm anxiously awaiting your updates. I will also be going with the Staton chain drive kit, but will opt for the Mitsubishi 43cc two stroke engine...

Warner

19 miles doesn't seem too bad. I've already racked up over 100 in anything from 15 to 40 mile treks. I'm still new to this, but I think at that distance you are probably just starting to get uncomfortable and then you're there.

I actually got lucky...or unlucky (depending on how you look at it)!!:eek: My wife is going back to school and we will no longer be making the commute together. We'll also be losing income so I had to find a way to cut fuel, maintenance and repair costs. Motor biking wins hands down! I did a preliminary fuel economy check. I'm getting almost 180 mpg with the staton chain drive (19 tooth gearbox sprocket). I was hoping for 200, but I'm not complaining. $2 a day sure beats $10!! The motor currently has 5 hours on it. She said she would feel bad for me except that I would probably enjoy it...she's right. I won't have too much to say until sept...that's when school starts back up. Believe it or not, I will probably get home sooner this way than if we were commuting. She worked later than I did...that got REALLY old REALLY fast. No more 12 and 13 hour days for me.

It can get pretty chilly, but there are a lot of motorcyclists that still ride in the dead of winter given the gas prices. The temperatures don't usually drop below freezing at night, so ice is rarely a problem and when it is everything shuts down. Windchill on the other hand...motivation to pedal!

Back