why hasn't someone developed a nice fuel tank to fit in Schwinn cruiser frame?

Brent, I am the person that originated this post, and i am bolwn away with your tank, wish you took more pics along the way, but nice to know it can be done. GREAT JOB, AMAZING. So a few question, how did you figure out the drain and fuelcap issues and where does someone get fiberglass materials and knowledge? I am a woodworker and ace bike mechanic but fiberglass scares me. Thanks, Tim

Gas cap and drain

Hi
For the drain I used an 1/8 in thick x 1.25 sq bit of brass that I bent to match the shape of the inside of the tank I drilled a hole in it and bazed an 1/8in. Street 90 brass fitting to it. I drilled the bottom of the tank just large enought to fit the 90 thru. After sanding the brass with epoxy
(wet sanding it to help keep oxygen off) I glued it in place then later layed glass and epoxy over it two or three layers of fine cloth to make it solid. For the gass cap I found a company that was making very nice tanks for go karts I called them and got them to sell me the same cap the were welding into their tanks. it is made from billit aluminum and is knurrled very nice peice. I had a friend tig weld a flange to it. I then drilled the tank and glued it in from the inside just like the drain and layed glass around it.I just cut peices of glass cloth into circles with a hole in it to fit the flange. There are a few suppliers that make custom caps for the guys who make trick motorcycle tanks so seek them out as a source.The knowledge that I have is limited to just being exposed to alot of different processes in my career. Tap Plastics and West Systems boat building epoxy work well and they can provid great manuals. I am also a woodworker I own a cabinet and furniture shop Called JUSTASHOP in San Carlos Ca. Check out my work at "Picasa web albums " and type in "JUSTASHOP" into their search bar Try the slide show it works well.
Hope this Helps If I can fined the time one of these days I will psot pictures of the modl and patterns maby a few drawings to show how I made mine.

Best Regards Brent Merkley

Culver City Classic from L.A. makes some of the best custom gas tanks. If I had a cruiser, he would be the first one I would hit up.

Back