Wicker Bike?

Discussion in 'Antique Motorized Bicycles' started by Scottm, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Scottm

Scottm Guest

I like to stop by antique malls and shops to see if someone is selling something I might like. One of the bikes I found there was entirely wrapped in wicker. The fenders, handle grips, chain guard and a few extra parts were made in wicker. I have no idea what kind of bike it is. I think they wanted $100.

Attached Files:

2. OldPete

OldPete Guest

Google images of bamboo bicycle. Enjoy! ;)
  3. iRide Customs

iRide Customs Member

Only $100?!? You should have swooped up on it!
  4. wavygravy

wavygravy Guest

just as a novelty its worth 100! cool!
  5. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Wow, Pete, I didn't think of that. There is actually an organization in Africa trying to make them for the poor communities.

I have sworn off buying another bike until I find that special one. I missed a Sears Spaceliner for $125 a few months ago, and I've regretted it ever since. So that's why I keep hitting the antique malls.
    My garage is like a black hole, everytime I clean it out it fills back up. My neighbor cleaned out his garage when I did last time. He threw out 2 26in huffys. Guess where they are now.
  6. BSA

BSA Guest

Cool. Better than this new fangled plastic.

7. Sianelle

Sianelle Guest

Corker! - I like that:grin: Right! now where did I see all that bamboo growing the other day......
  8. mopedjay

mopedjay Guest

i saw on invention nation they had bamboo bikes made in oregon they looked awesome i bet theyre expensive though
  9. other crazy bammboo bikes

The first pic is of a bike I saw in Pacific Beach, San Diego,CA
    The bamboo is just added for easthetics, not as a structural element, but looks cool. It has a long fur seat, leopard skin on the light body and a stand that looks like an exhaust once pulled up. Actually the owner pattented this exhaust-stand. It has a twin bamboo cilinder "engine" and tank. This bike is all about style.
    The other pic is a composite bamboo bike; this one is real, all about function; more expensive, with carbon fiber and epoxy joints; but very light.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2008
  10. Scottm

Scottm Guest

Wow, looks like something the professor from Gilligan's Island would come up with.
    That bike I saw at the antique store was a regular frame wrapped in wicker. I just can't imagine someone having or taking the time to wrap an entire bike.
  11. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

Pretty good looking that bamboo frame...strong too cos it's naturally box-sectioned.
    I THINK bamboo is classified as a grass and it's the fastest growing land organism in the world.
    A bicycle made out of grass......rather nifty.