Winter Upgrades

richard jewett

Local time
1:21 PM
Just trying to plan for the long upcoming winter months. Right now I'm still working on the break-in period and tuning the carb. It is my understanding that the NT carbs are usually a bit rich for the 2 stroke engines. I have moved the needle up and down and not getting the results I hoped for. Do most of you wind up having to change the main jet and leaning it out a size? Are the jet kits sold on amazon or e-bay what you use or is there a better source?
As to this winter, I have a generic Huffy bike that is what it is. I know that the wheels are basically crap. I would like to upgrade to a better wheel with 11 ga. spokes and a front drum brake. The price for this upgrade will probably cost in the neighborhood of $250. I am sure that it would be a signnificant improvement, but it will still be the same cheap frame. I am also considering just biting the bullet and purchasing a worksman bike that has not only the higher quality wheels but an overall higher quality construction. OF course that will cost a little over $500. Would the extra $$$ for the worksman be an overall better investment? It seems that the average weight "limits" on most bikes like the huffy is around 220 lbs. Well I a bit over that! Would the worksman be a safer motorized bike?
Thanks for your input!

Yes to having to lean the main jetfor summer temperatures, but be careful when the cold weather comes, you WILL have to richen the jet with cold weather. The stock jet was good to about -5c or 25f, colder than that you had better put a richer jet in it. I ran into detonation and overheating (!) trouble at -10c (15f) with the stock jet. The stock jet really is a wonderful compromise between ease of use, reliability, power and covering all likely riding conditions.

The needle only covers the mid-range, basically throttle response. Full throttle is main jet and float level. You can drop the float level about 5mm max and get the effect of a 2.5 jet jump (70 to 67.5) but if you drop it any more you have drivebility issues. Proper float level is best.

Winter riding around here means SALT. Even on dry days there is plenty of salt on the road. Rust will be a problem.
full

58500-931e5dfcab4b68ba11be4530ed6a0b81.jpg
58496-5c0819ff7557d95343ba8e28df5d132f.jpg
58497-6eec39635e8654e927d1daa088de067b.jpg

When I initially started the bike, I had the needle in the middle notch. The engine started very easily and ran quite well but at higher throttle it was 4 stroking and didn't pull well on a hill. Leaning it out to the leanest notch resulted in harder starting and would not take throttle unless the choke was half on, going back one notch richer it still starts harder and requires the choke on about 1/4 and still seems to run poorer than with the needle in the middle notch. I think going back to the middle notch and dropping down a jet size might improve over all. Still on 16:1 gas and I did use regular instead of premium. Changing to premium and going to less oil would improve running?
As to winter running, not going to happen! I was referring to wrenching over the winter to get ready for next summer....I'm 65 years old, I don't do winter....
thanks

So, bear with me, let me see if I have this right. THe position of the needle clip effects rich/lean at lower to mid throttle position, then basically the main jet takes over and regulates the amount of fuel from mid-ish throttle to WOT....is that right?
If then my engine started fine and ran well up to mid-ish throttle with the clip on the middle needle position but ran poorer above that (4 stroking) would that indicate that the needle position was pretty close and the jet is just a big to big? Would that also explain why when I leaned the needle out I had to run with the choke on and that made WOT even richer with the current jet causing poor WOT performance? Am I closing in on this?
THanks

You are correct Richard. You have this carb thing pegged!

I'm almost 60 Richard.
I still go camping in winter and teach others how to do it!
61383-f1a0aca6b42858f7df5d758057ed69f1.jpg

Holding up well so far, my knees ain't great but I keep going.
That is me on the left, taken a few days ago. I'm 20 years older than my very animated buddy.
61381-871ac416a4ecd2ee5641c2921dfe5a68.jpg

It's been a great summer, I've been eating well, obviously...
Keeps me warm in winter but it's a lot for my knees to hold up!

Back