noob with questions and ideas

I was looking at the trailz before I took it out, it looks like there would be enough room to get a happytime sprocket next to the leftside freewheel as long as you were able to remove the freewheel first. Putting 415 chain in there may make it tight so you may have to use BMX chain to have enough clearance but I think it's doable. Get the mountain bike version not the unisex/hybrid framed one if you're looking for enough room to mount a HT engine. Since these ezips can pull you from a standstill I think adding the gasser would give you AWESOME acceleration up to 18mph where the electric motor cuts out. ****, you wouldn't even have to pedal at all to bump start and I'm sure it would climb hills like a craaaazy mofo since they use a geared motor with tons of torque. The only shame is that it doesn't have the ability to regen but you would just ride with electric power for accelerating below the 18mph mark and climbing so I couldn't see any specific range issues.

****, I think as long as you had a kill switch handy and killed it before a cop was right there you could say you're only using the electric power and you use the gas for off-road... Just keep in mind electrics are only supposed to pull you along at 20mph so that excuse isn't going to work if you're doing 30.
Can't wait to see you do it ozz, and yes, we should ride sometime. Even if its just electrics or whatever but my XR75 is just begging for some MB company.

Quoted from LargePhilipino's $350 walmart ebike thread just to not have to repeat myself
------------------------------------
Yeah I got the Ezip Trailz Womens a few months ago as a tag along for my fam and girlfriend (I ride it too, the pink doesn't bother me).
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8467095
I wrote the first review on there if you didn't guess.

I just went out on it to test it's range for Ozzy. I was pedaling normally, not breaking a sweat or anything and I rode 12.5 miles at 15.2mph average speed. I think I could have squeezed an extra mile out of the battery but I decided not to totally drain it and switched over to my secondary battery to high tail home.
Keep in mind I live in a very hilly part of New Hampshire literally a couple of miles away from mount Watatic. I used the motor while pedaling the whole time except for downhill. With the motor alone on the only flat road near my house the bike topped out at 18mph just as advertised. With my secondary currie battery pack my range is probably 25 miles or more if I rode it very conservatively.
Whoever complains about the Trailz is just expecting too much from such a relatively inexpensive product.
I've looked around and there are a lot of upgrade products available for these Currie systems as well. Heftier motors and controllers to be more specific. But I've read a bunch at endless sphere about people who were able to easily convert these into a 36v system as long as you're careful not to ride the motor so hard that it overheats and burns out. Otherwise the controller can handle the extra 12v with no problems and makes these bikes top out around 25. Personally I wouldn't do it just because I always value longevity over performance but when my SLA batteries die I may upgrade the packs to lithium and have incredible range.

The kill switch idea may be pushing it. I think the HT would have to be disabled. I've been a good boy for 12 yrs. to get my license back. I don't want to risk it now that I'm so close to getting it back.
You said it cuts out at 18 mph. Is there a governor?
You really think there room to fit the calmshell sprocket on the same side as the Currie freewheel? Not having seen either in person I thought something would hit somewhere. I've also thoght of put the Currie motor just in front of the MT idler. But until I have them I won't know.
I have an XR250 I picked up at a yard sale, but I ride my Roadmaster/Magna to work. Its geared higher.
I have to PM you my phone # typing is for the birds. LOL

Well, I can't say for sure if it would fit but it looks like it could be possible. May take some head scratching to do but thats part of every MB project. The Trails cuts out at 18 not because of a governor I think thats just as fast as the motor will spin at 24v. You can still hear the motor humming along when you're flying downhill if you're not bright enough to let off the throttle.

12 years... go****. Take the cops on a high-speed chase or something?
Not a big fan of phone conversation myself. I like my phone calls to be the 1-5 minute quick exchange of info. Otherwise face to face is the way to go. Will have to figure something out for riding, concord is a bit out of my way and people 'round here keep me busy.

Anyways. ttyl and all.

i like brushed motors

repacing brushes is a sinch
motors are cheap or free

speed controll is cheap and easy

you loose 5 % efficiency big deal , with the money savings get some nice batterys .

check out my recycled bike

scrap bike parts , dead battery powered black & deacker stealth mower

exerzice bike jackshaft

SirJakesus-
Sorry, its took a loooong time to reply. Busy weekend, I picked up a free '83 Murray riding lawn mower. The 12 yr thing, was a combination of a relationship ending badly, curvy Missouri roads, alcohol and in general not caring about anything. I'm with you on the phone convo's. I tend to keep them to the point. I've never been down your way before. I'm am ordering the Currie Ezip June 1st. I had to pin the wife down to a date she has been wishy washy about when I was goin' to get it. Buyin' stuff by committee is worst part about marriage! I don't think I'll use the Currie Frame with the HT. Something about it looks kinda funny maybe its the upward angle of the top bar. I think I'm going to gusset up the magna frame in the welding class and use it.

ducatiluke-
I found your B&S build. Pretty cool! I hope its more of a mechanical exercise than something you use frequently. On the other hand I have a 16hp B&S. If the frame is too rusted out and I know the engine runs good. Hmmmmmmm:devilish:
Did you post a pic of the B&D rig somewhere, or was you just saying in thoery?

The Deed is Done

I ordered the e zip. I almost accidentally ordered the unisex frame. I had that one saved.
I can't wait to get it to start modifying! Paint 1st no question!

Last edited:
Back