Rear friction engine: faults

It looks like a single-spring clutch.:geek:

Contact BGF; tell them that the new engine you purchased from them has a broken clutch spring. See what he does from there.

Contact Harbor Freight and ask if you can buy the spring from them. Ask them what it'd cost for the complete clutch assembly. Mull over it.
Measure the spring's total length. Since it's broken, measure from the spring's center to the hook on the good side. Multiply measurement by two.

Measure the spring's outside diameter at the center. If you have the tool, measure the thickness of the spring's wire.

With this information in hand, search for the spring on the 'net.

The shipping will cost more than the spring.:sick:

While your BGF engine awaits repairs, install the Active engine. Ya might as well use it. Be aware that Active engine components may be VERY expensive and hard to find.

Update: This will PROBABLY work:

http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/clutch_pad.htm

I'd advise you NOT to buy the HP spring. You'll probably have to keep the revs up to engage the clutch. Your MB would then sound EXACTLY like a loud moped.

Last edited by a moderator:
It looks like a single-spring clutch.:geek:

Contact BGF; tell them that the new engine you purchased from them has a broken clutch spring. See what he does from there.

Contact Harbor Freight and ask if you can buy the spring from them. Ask them what it'd cost for the complete clutch assembly. Mull over it.
Measure the spring's total length. Since it's broken, measure from the spring's center to the hook on the good side. Multiply measurement by two.

Measure the spring's outside diameter at the center. If you have the tool, measure the thickness of the spring's wire.

With this information in hand, search for the spring on the 'net.

The shipping will cost more than the spring.:sick:

While your BGF engine awaits repairs, install the Active engine. Ya might as well use it. Be aware that Active engine components may be VERY expensive and hard to find.

Update: This will PROBABLY work:

http://www.scooterparts4less.com/web_gas/clutch_pad.htm

I'd advise you NOT to buy the HP spring. You'll probably have to keep the revs up to engage the clutch. Your MB would then sound EXACTLY like a loud moped.

Cheers for the Info,

BGF emailed me saying they no longer accept European overseas orders and unfortunately the the URL link for scooterparts don't likewise. I'm currently riding MB using the Active engine but only as a temporary assembly as i've now got a bigger MB project in mind for which the Active will play a big part.
I'm also thinking on the idea of ditching the BGF motor (money lost but expensive lesson learned if a replacement spring cannot be found) and actually buying from a DIY hardware store perhaps a heavy duty chainsaw. The idea being by removing the chain and blade it's possible for adapting to a friction MB? Such chainsaws Hitachi, Makita, Stihl etc are available here cheap @ around $80 for a 33cc though i'd be looking at near 50cc. Today the Paris weather has been far from MB friendly what with it being coldt & the ****ed rain also not forgetting it's still our Summer here:mad: so if tomorrow's the same then i'll be using the car. It'll be less fun but atleast i'll be warm and dry.

The photo below shows the broken spring ofwhich i've temporarily repaired by heating it up & making a bend/loop on the broken end hence once refitted along with the BGF i'll let you know how long it lasts.

Cheers & good MB riding

Attachments

• BGF Clutch spring temporary repair.jpg
    BGF Clutch spring temporary repair.jpg
    141.3 KB · Views: 131
Back