15 below zero.........

2 times in my areas history I have ridden when it was -7 degrees F in 25 + years the first I was showing off & talked 4 others into riding with me to school I rode without socks, only loafers & a light sweater. yes I froze my self it was only a 3 mile ride, but one I never forgot.

the other 4 dressed decent for the weather & we all parked front row of the school & principal made mention of us on the PA system as to the 5 that rode mopeds & parked in front of the main doors on that cold of a day.

I still will ride in any temp but never will be a fool again & not dress to be warm.

Randy

Took a ride last night just for fun. 3 or 4 miles.

Temp was about 15 deg F. I've built a fairing that covers feet up to hands and mid-chest. With that I was able to ride dressed not-quite my heaviest. perfectly comfortable. Only trouble was a bit of fogging on my face shield.

I think we've gotten past the very worst of winter here in central Illinois. High today will be upper 30s, low mid 20s. Easily rideable. Roads are clear and we're in a time of year when there will be less precip. I think Monday and Tuesday will be colder, but then the forecast calls for days and days of highs in the low 40s.

I hope I'm not jumping the gun here, but this might be the kickoff of the riding season:)

You rode to school in -7, no socks, loafers and light sweater? Man, that takes guts.
You mention you'll never forget it. It's not hard to believe.

You rode to school in -7, no socks, loafers and light sweater? Man, that takes guts.
You mention you'll never forget it. It's not hard to believe.

yes it is one of a few of my worst coldest rides I ever had & all the worst I remember. one is being 80 miles away & within 10 miles of riding back home I was covered in ice only a 1/2 helmet & glasses I had to pull over & lay against the engine a couple of times to warm up.

another I was 60 miles away & there was an ice storm I had to let bike idle untill it would defrost cables so I could turn throttle & over 45mph throttle would stick for over 20 miles.

another it was 17 degrees & I had not dressed for it I was just going for a 30 mile ride to another city to cruise to look for girls & I was tucked in to windshield riding to close to an 18 wheeler & he blew a rear tire & it slung right by me, didnt touch me but it sent cold chills down me we were running 55 to 60 mph.

there are others. I rode a awesome Purple Harley that was obnoxiously loud for aprox 12 years & picked up women all the time it was rare to go cruising & not pick someone up if I had wanted to. I had a 69 sportster chopper in blue purple before that & a black cherry dresser Harley before that & several triumphs, hondas, kawasakis, suzukis. & yamaha, during the same time as back up bikes. women really dig a purple Harley.

anyway about 6 months after I blew engine I found the right woman & settled down & that was around 5 years ago.

Later,
Randy

I took rides last night and this morning. Both about 6 miles. Last night it was 40 deg F at about 8:30 PM. Beautiful riding conditions.

this morning at about 6:00 AM it was 29 deg. Slightly chilly around the jaw and throat. I could have stopped and covered my face a bit better, but it wasn't bad enough for that.
Only thing that worried me at all was the patches of melt from yesterday that had frozen into mini ice rinks overnight.

Today will be another ride-able day. then two days of minor deep freeze. Then expected highs in the low 40s, lows in the upper twenties as far as the eye can see.

It's official: The deep, dark winter is over! :)

And not a moment too soon.

i remember a few weeks agao when it was -15 here... just found the thread though lol. i ATTEMPTED to ride when it was -15 but the scooter with hardly any backpressure wasnt having it... here is the vid. when it got up to +15-20 she started right up

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4THsRSZbRg

Yes.

when the temp is under about 30 deg, then I have to do a LOT of pedalling to get that engine started.

It's enough to build up a good sweat. And it's bad enough that I doubt if I'll ride very much under 20 deg.

Wow... you guys stories are amazing! I've never experienced cold like that, I don't think it's ever gotten below 1 here in New Mexico. Do you guys like living in the north?

Wow... you guys stories are amazing! I've never experienced cold like that, I don't think it's ever gotten below 1 here in New Mexico. Do you guys like living in the north?

well here -7 is the record & it has only happened 2 times in my life. 0 or a couple degrees below every winter.

many places get alot colder weather than what we get here. but I wouldnt trade the relaxed pace here for anything. the city part of our area which is almost 20 miles away finally got zoning to keep people from opening junkyards right on main roads in the city part.

our newspaper comes out 1 time a week on wednesday but no home delivery if you want it in home it will be mailed & you get it thursday. to keep up with local deaths you have to listen to the radio & the radio is the most direct way to learn early what is happening.

I dont worry about having to lock my doors at night & alot of times when I run out for a 1/2 hour I dont even bother to lock the house.

I have neighbors but in 12 years I have owned this place I have never met them but I can see houses both directions. my mailbox is located across the street on federal land & there are hundreds of acres that are protected & I can go walking anytime I want.

when I ride/drive work depending on which direction I go it can be as little as 23 miles or over 30 & several directions there will only be 1 stoplight which is located in sight of my job.

I can go riding the mountains everyday as they are my backyard when I want to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway well I am under 15 miles from there & of course no stop lights & then there are hundreds of miles of relaxing road with light traffic except during tourist season & no stoplights.

now for level roads they pretty much do not exist around these parts....

Later,
Randy

Back