18MM Mikuni Carb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Buy online from mikuni corporation in USA, (google it) or mikunioz.com in Australia. I paid $88 for a vm16-516 from mikunioz. They have a good pdf tuning guide on their site & all jets are available, pilot & main in increments of 2.5 at $6.60 each. BTW, even tho the lever has choke stamped on, they use an enrichment circuit for starting & are started throttle closed. Cheers

my attitude to the vm18 is its pointless unless theres work done on the ports. the standard intake is approx 14mm ID. ideally, you would use a 14mm carb, there being no mikuni in such a size, one must get a dremel! using a carby larger than necessary causes low speed bogging, especially with sudden throttle openings.

then again, if the ports have been opened up to allow an 18 carb, the mikuni is so easy to tune in and use, that its worth the effort.

you need to remove a LOT of material!

then, going to a 22, 24 or anything else is simply ludicrous...

vm16 or 18. best buy.

the ones that are sold for under $100 are invariably chinese copies, they are not genuine mikunis... do the same job, but arent genuine, despite the stampings.

I agree Headsmess, thats why I chose the 16mm & the manifolds a straight shot to the jug, bored 16mm & matched to the port. I dunno bout being Chinese, new from mikunioz tho he did give it to me at reduced price, told me to tell secratary to make sure when I paid with debit card, which was good. They are so tuneable all the way thru the range & throttle responce is great as well. O-ringed everywhere & brass float, great carb. Cheers

Hi again. Just a word of warning to anyone buying a mikuni off ebay or an online seller, make sure the carb u r buying has the clamp on type mount. Mikuni's r also available with spigot & flange type mounts. Mine has "Made in Jappan" just above the float bowl on the opposite side to the choke lever, which is the right hand side when its mounted on the back of the jug. Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back