2 stroke engine choke cable control

gearhead437

Local time
11:33 AM
Dear Fellow Motorheads-Has anyone discovered, bought or built a cable controlled choke assembly? Adjusting the choke while riding is not, as we all know, the most ergonomic way to choke the motor while trying to pedal start it. Appreciate any detailed feedback:)-Gearhead437

They had em on lawn mowers so it shouldn't be that hard to figure out

Lawn mowers used a lever and a steel cable to the choke arm The choke was opened or closed by movging the lever
But for a M/B if ya use a thumb lever w/return spring and a return spring on the carb choke lever you can use a bicycle cable
Probably have to fabricate that

There is also a carb with hands free auto choke for 49cc - 80cc motorbicycle engines

Dear Fellow Motorheads-Really appreciate all of the feedback. I asked mainly to see if there were any premade 66cc 2 stroke carbs that have an installed cable choke. The stock carbs, as we all know, are extremely fragile and I am trying to do as little stock modding, if possible-Gearhead437

The stock carbs, as we all know, are extremely fragile
If your talking the original NT carbs that used to be the stock carb, I would agree.

But most "stock" carbs on most motors have been available and in use for the last 2 or 3 years now are JRL BoFengs which are built thicker and much sronger and substantial than the old style NTs,,,One of the real differences is where it connects to the intake or in my case, the reed valve, which was one area of weakness noted for breakage when tightening the NT on to the intake manifold.

Here are two pics as a comparison to see the metal thickness between the first pic which is the basic NT and the second pic which is the BoFeng.

61a5R2yKT9L._AC_SY355_.jpg
616jGJ0ukBL._AC_SX425_.jpg

You can use a solid wire choke or throttle cable to run to the handle bars or a heavy spring with a cable choke. The old school 10 speed shifters make good chokes and throttles.
I'm glad you mentioned this! I wasnt sure what all these old 10speed friction shifters would be good for. That's a swell use of them. Thanks. These old vintage shifters are too nice to just toss.

Back