Doh and double doh!

gearhead437

Local time
1:45 AM
Dear Fellow Motorheads-Didn't do this with my first build, as I initially had all of my parts.

On my second build, I installed both of my handgrips early on after installing the throttle assembly and carburator. I'd forgotten how MOST brake lever assemblies must be slid onto the handle bars before the left handgrip is installed. I did not have my front brake set yet, just the cable and hand lever and had planned on installing all of it once my caliper brakes arrived.

As a result, I installed my left handgrip and realized my error today when thinking about the front brake assembly-doh! Had to use a razor to take it off :( Thankfully, Zane at California Motor answered my texts and will be expediting another grip out at a nominal price with expedited shipping:)

Still waiting on my Textro caliper brakes from another vendor, so won't be able to start my motor until the front brake assembly is completely installed. Unfortunately, the Hyper Beach Cruiser only has coaster brakes from the factory and there is no easy way to mount caliper brakes on the rear wheel.

Lastly, does anyone recommend using light vegetable oil as an installation lubricant that will NOT rapidly dry up like water does? TIA for any detailed feedback. My dollars worth for the day-Gearhead437

Is there anything that someone can use that will allow the grip to easily be removed if need be, but that doesn't slip once installed?-Gearhead437

Is there anything that someone can use that will allow the grip to easily be removed if need be, but that doesn't slip once installed?-Gearhead437
Like GW says, if you have an air compressor and a fine blow gun, they come right off. I saved a few vintage grips that way.

Back