Mag Wheels Extra Hardware Needed

Ananas

Local time
7:24 AM
A couple months ago I built my first motorized bike, attaching a Zeda Silver Slant engine kit from BicycleEngines.com to an old Trek 4300 MTB.

I got the bike running fairly smoothly, and I now want to make some upgrades to improve safety and refine the ride a bit. My long term plans are adding triple suspension forks, a puch maxi seat, and a head/taillight system powered by a 12V drill battery.

The immediate upgrade needed is ditching the rag joint and switching from rim to disc brakes. After looking around here, I’ve decided that the simplest route to do this is to purchase mag wheels since they have disc brakes and sprockets integrated already. I like the look of the black 10 spoke mag wheels from BBR tuning.

I would consider heavy duty spoke wheels if they had an integrated sprocket like mag wheels.

My question for this is, what extra hardware am I going to need to complete the task of switching wheels? The bike has mounting holes for a disc brake caliper adapter. Will I be able to reuse my rim brake cables on the calipers that come with the wheel? I image they will be too short or have the wrong mounting setup.

This also might be a good opportunity to ditch the 21 speed assembly for a single speed and switch to the double brake lever I purchased but never installed.

I’d just like some advice for what I need to purchase to successfully change out the wheels and get the brakes working and shifters replaced / removed.

Attachments

• 5BF6B719-E91B-4552-9D14-6C27BE3FE39A.jpeg
    5BF6B719-E91B-4552-9D14-6C27BE3FE39A.jpeg
    351.2 KB · Views: 36
10 spoke mag wheels will flex alot Motorbikers report that 10 spoke mag wheels have broke
If you want Mags I suggest the 3 spoke mags
BTW they're for street use only

@DAMIEN1307 has 3 spoke Mags and maybe he will chime in shortly to show you the hardware needed and tips about disc brakes

10 spoke mag wheels will flex alot Motorbikers report that 10 spoke mag wheels have broke
If you want Mags I suggest the 3 spoke mags
BTW they're for street use only

@DAMIEN1307 has 3 spoke Mags and maybe he will chime in shortly to show you the hardware needed and tips about disc brakes
Start with this "tutorial" linked below which will show you how to put it all together, what to get, where to get it, etc. etc.

You will also see in one of the first links what my bike was like before mags as well as after mags...As @Wrench previously mentioned, I use 3 spoke mags for the reason that they are not fragile like their multi-spoked cousins of 5, 6, or 10 spoked mags.

I do trail and off-road riding sometimes, so I guess I need to go with spoked wheels. I'm looking at the 10-gauge CDH power wheels here. They've got the disk brake holes that I want and much greater strength than the puny 14-gauge spokes I currently have, but no nice integrated sprocket like the mag wheels. Has anyone here done a non rag joint sprocket install on these wheels? Is there an alternative 10-gauge wheel with a built-in sprocket?

Should I just get a disk brake adapter for the sprocket and use rear rim brakes and front disks or is there a way for me to get rear discs and a securely mounted sprocket.

I do trail and off-road riding sometimes, so I guess I need to go with spoked wheels. I'm looking at the 10-gauge CDH power wheels here. They've got the disk brake holes that I want and much greater strength than the puny 14-gauge spokes I currently have, but no nice integrated sprocket like the mag wheels. Has anyone here done a non rag joint sprocket install on these wheels? Is there an alternative 10-gauge wheel with a built-in sprocket?

Should I just get a disk brake adapter for the sprocket and use rear rim brakes and front disks or is there a way for me to get rear discs and a securely mounted sprocket.
A 14g Sapim spoke has a stronger tensile strength than a 10g department store spoke. The big 3 in spokes are:

Sapim, WheelSmith, and DT.

These spokes can be triple the price of department store spokes but I've never had any of the big 3 break.

Yup, here. This is a 40 T sprocket and a 203 disc.

Attachments

• DiscSprocket.jpg
    DiscSprocket.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 30
  • Caliper1.jpg
    Caliper1.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 29
Back