NO FLEX Hybrid mag wheels

Jayraye39

Local time
5:35 AM
Many of you may have seen my original post of the deadly BBR 10 star mag wheels. If not let me tell you these mags are dangerous. Their is a heavy amount of lateral flex (side to side). I tested just how much flex they gain during curves. My findings weee that the mags flex a crazy 20mm off from center during load.

I love the look of these mags as they really make most bikes, especially mine look more modern. So while sitting in my garage lastnight spaced out. I developed another one of my crazy theories that I think just may fix the lateral flex on these mags.

Now we all have seen products for these motor bikes that have pros and cons. When their is a similar Item that is built different they to have pros and cons. Whithin this community we have developed ways to combine two products to make a hybrid product hence the Minarelli and other hybrid motors. This combining of two different products give us a more pro drivin status and creates a better performing product.

So my theory begins with the cons of these particular mag wheels. The lateral flex. While researching the differences of mag wheels to spkoked wheel the biggest difference was the spoked wheels have mostly radial flex with very little lateral flex. On the other hand Mag wheels have no radial flex yet have major lateral flex. So why not combine the 2 products to create a hybrid wheel?

Taking my mags off my bike I decided to drill and add spokes evenly space in the area the mag spokes were not. My theory is that the tension of the spoked wheels is what keeps them from flexing lateraly. So adding spokes to the mag wheels and tighneing them for tension should im my opinion reduce the lateral movment of the mags.

Now just like everything I develop. This is just a trial and error process. Now if for some reason this doesnt work or makes the mags more prone to breaking then so be it. I tried something new and that my fellow forum members is how innovation is born. I planed on new spoked rims for mynew minarelli im putting on my bike. So what better time then now to see If I cant create a fix to the mag wheel problem and give birth to a whole new hybrid wheel that will perform better than either spoked a mag wheels..

Just started the wheel building process and this is what I got so far. Let me hear your thoughts as I have found not a single article online about anyone ever attempting this. When said and done 10-14g spokes will be added to my mags 5 on one side and 5 on the other side.
20240201_230846.jpg
20240201_230856.jpg
20240201_230903.jpg
20240201_230910.jpg

I like the way you think! I feel the more spokes the better. Minimum 12ga. I take it there is not enough material to counter sink the nipple holes in the rim. Might have to double up on the rim liners. I'm curious as to how you're anchoring the other end of the spoke. Are these the typical "J" spokes?

typical j spokes. it will definitely need a thick liner. as the heads are sunk as far as they will go but it shouldnt be a problem.
20240202_004257.jpg
20240202_004240.jpg

If the spokes do nothing for the flex atleast it will look cool as hell.
20240202_004423.jpg

I'm not so sure this will be a problem so close to the center of the hub. Stress vectors increase by the square of the distance from center. All aluminum spoke wheels have holes around the rim. I would have liked to see 2 spokes in the larger opening. Taking the sharp edge off the holes with a countersink bit would have been a good idea to prevent a fracture from forming. I know you'll keep a close eye on every hole to look for any. Do you happen to know what alloy these wheels are made from??

I would be concerned about the added holes creating focal points for stress that will result in cracks and failures.
the holes are very close to hub and are very tiny holes 1/8 in. that is where most of the meat is. hardly and stress in that area when riding. the only concern i have is when i take a left hand turn will their be to much flex that the right side apokes get loose and poke up through the tube. then same thing on a right hand turn will the left ones get loose.

I'm not so sure this will be a problem so close to the center of the hub. Stress vectors increase by the square of the distance from center. All aluminum spoke wheels have holes around the rim. I would have liked to see 2 spokes in the larger opening. Taking the sharp edge off the holes with a countersink bit would have been a good idea to prevent a fracture from forming. I know you'll keep a close eye on every hole to look for any. Do you happen to know what alloy these wheels are made from??
their is not enough room for 2 spokes their the holes would be to clost together at the hub. would crack. 10 spokes is the bare minimum and the absolute maximum

Back