2-stroke or 4-stroke for cross-country travel?

The original calcs. I made were a bit on the optimistic side as far as hill climbing was concerned.I neglected the rolling& wind resistance going uphill.I did some educated guessing and arrived at a 6-7 % grade capability at 23mph instead of 9%,a bit more at lower speed ,if the engine is torquey.My weight assumptions (650lbs) were on the pessimistic side 500-550 lbs seems more reasonable.so I suppose as was not that far off originally.I am against overstressing IC engines esp. small ones if you want them to hang in there.Apart from the trike (comfort !) the the dual (smaller) engine redundant scheme has a lot going for it.More grunt,100 cc combined !.

Last edited by a moderator:
While the dual engine idea is an interesting concept with much merit, I still think planning is your greatest ally here.
If you can plan the trip so stops are close-by, there'd be no need for all the extra gear.
Personally, I like this engine for the trip.
Parts are available all over the place and its a tractable, lightweight powerplant that should yield around 175-200 mpg, so a single 1.25 gal. tank should suffice, if you plan your trip smartly.

Dean

With that 1hp you MIGHT be moseying along on the shoulder at 20mph fully loaded...until you reach an incline.

I changed my mind and would use TLE43cc Mitsubishi engines. They're what I presently use, and I like them. I'll be claiming the lane. With a big enough tank, I can plan to stop when you stop.

See you on the hilltop. Please wake me up; I'll wait for you and give my engines a rest.:D

What am I carrying? Clothes, blankets, air mattress, tent, tire tubes, tool kit, cellphone.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally, I like this engine for the trip.
Parts are available all over the place and its a tractable, lightweight powerplant that should yield around 175-200 mpg, so a single 1.25 gal. tank should suffice, if you plan your trip smartly.
Dean

There's a fellow http://www.cvc.net/cvcmem/currin/bikes/assist/assist.html
who uses a Honda 25 with a belt reduction FD on a touring bent that has been all over the country.

His philosophy is:
The idea of power assist for a bicycle is to add a motor while retaining the functionality of the bicycle. A power assist is for use on steep hills where it is most needed and turned off where pedal power alone is adequate. It differs from traditional mopeds which are small motorcycles and can't be reasonably pedaled without the motor.

I like that.

A twin engined tandem would do nicely too,room for stuff + all sorts of possible engine options.Would not need trailer either.

There's a fellow http://www.cvc.net/cvcmem/currin/bikes/assist/assist.html
who uses a Honda 25 with a belt reduction FD on a touring bent that has been all over the country.

His philosophy is:

I like that.
Thank you. That was exactly my point and I couldn't have put any better.
The engine is a HELPER, not the sole source of power. Otherwise, just get a motorcycle and be done with it.
The recumbent in that link shows a very nice version of a roller drive situation. Someone's very good and pretty smart.
BTW, the 22cc engine shown in that link is an older, heavier version of the one I linked to earlier.

...and 5-7Heaven, that motor does have a big brother, if you feel power is that much of a concern.
Also, as a former mechanic, I think what someone did with their MITSUBISHI pick-up truck says it best, when they re-wrote the name on the tail gate to read "It B $hitty".
Something to keep in mind.

Dean

Last edited:
Nope, Mitsubishi 43cc engines are high in quality, extremely low in emissions and powerful too. I haven't had any problems except for an early fuel vacuum issue.

I have a pedal-assist bike. When the engines need my help, I pedal-assist.

:unsure:I am the HELPER.

No motorcycles for me. No annual registration, safety checks or insurance. This old man can load the bike in the van or up two flights of stairs single-handedly. Every part can be easily replaced with comparatively low expense. Labor is free(me) or reasonable(bike shop).

No motorcycle owner in the world can say all that.:devilish:

MB's are the ultimate urban vehicles.

Nope, Mitsubishi 43cc engines are high in quality, extremely low in emissions and powerful too.
I've heard the same about the Honda Mini engines, but fair enough.
Enjoy your bike (which you obviously are!).

Elvis

Back