2stroke or 4

I've had more problems with my chinese 4 stroke than most have had with their two strokes... Not sure if this is because I ride at WOT 15k's each way or not :0/

2-stroke FTW!

I've got a 4-stroke, but I don't wanna put it on 'til the 2-stroke stops running. 4-strokes have their advantages, but not having to mix gas is the only benefit that I wish I could do... but then again, I don't think changing oil would be too much fun either. Then 4-strokes also need valve adjustments every once in awhile... also no fun.

Speed, keeping my folding bike light and "tilt proof" so that oil doesn't leak outta the crankcase, and mostly maintenance free are my main concerns. Also, it's nice to ride WOT all the time and not worry about the engine blowing up. Supposedly, attempting to go on a cross-country road trip with these small 4-strokes & no transmission wouldn't get you very far.

IMHO... 2-stroke, rack-mount, & chain or friction drive are the ways to go.

And, uh, Heath... what 4-stroke do you have that's getting 15k rpm??

Oops.... The perils of posting in a predominantly US based forum - Kilometres rather than K rpm :)

15,000 rpm 4 stroke would be a motorcycle engine :)

hi all
i just got about 2 weeks a new zbox 70cc motor the new type and I mounted it with rubber around the mounts and I can ride at 50km and only feel a slight vib in the handlybars.

As much as I love 4-strokes, I'm really considering a 2-stroke kit, being as cheap as they have been lately. The $119 Holiday motor sale looks tempting.

I also keep WD-40 with me regularly for my c-clutch, and that's a little more expensive than 2-stroke oil, but the can of WD-40 lasts a long time. I still figure there is an extra "fluid" or maintenance cost either way with these things after riding for the last 6 months.

I just want a 2-stroke to last several thousand miles without worry of rings wearing out and the engine breaking down. My 4-stroke has been solid and worry free, just an occasional carb adjust at most, and still have the original spark plug! A fellow MB buddy of mine in town is replacing the rings and possibly the cylinder on his 80cc kit after lots of miles, which has my concern.

Hey Sparky,
Lots of good advice on your signature.

I also likes the 2 strokes. Nothing like the smell of caster oil in the morning - smells like... VICTORY.

I bought a 4stroke for the quiet factor but it turned out to be very loud. The gear box screams like a banshee. A 4stroke that had a chain or belt rather than a geared gear box would make the "quieter" argument legitimate.

Another major issue is the width of the 4 strokes. You have to use extra wide cranks that are weak and I find uncomfortable to pedal. I wanted a pull start but now regret it, its easier to bumpstart. The whole fan/pull start housing is not pleasing to the eye either.

Overall, I wish I went 2 stroke instead.

Engines with pull-start ,and a built in or add-on gear reduction are wider,wether 2 stroke or 4 stroke and are consequently more difficult to use for frame mount.The valve gear in 4 strokes makes them a bit wider also.As far as exhaust sound is concerned 2 strokes have a higher pitched,more piercing exhaust note (twice as many explosions for the same rpm),and their performance is more affected by any muffler restriction.4 strokes generally have better low-end torque and are less peaky than 2 strokes, which matters if you have only a single gear.Overall a reduction of around 20:1 has to be incorporated in the drive train,it is nice to have a 4/5 :1 reduction in the engine itself,so that a single additional chain drive will do.Most 2 strokes that I know of have no internal reduction. Both types can be reliable if they are quality engines,but the simplicity,low cost and light weight of 2 strokes are hard to beat in my opinion.But they do pollute a lot more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back