4 Stroke Engine rough on low revs

SeaWolf86

Local time
1:02 PM
Hi there,
I just finished my first project, so I never own a motorized bike before I have no idea how it handles, but something feels wrong to me. I fitted a chinese huasheng cheap 4 stroke engine. All went smooth, besides few bolts snapped and few fingers cut. The engine starts and runs nice. Idles as it should. But I don't know what to think about the centrifugal clutch. I thought it should run smoother, but instead I got a rough hiccupy start. When taking off, and all the way to about 10 mhp ewerything is shaking and vibrating. I was aware to not expect smoothness like in scooter, but seems too rough to me. The clutch and shoes looks fine. Springs in place. The single chain looked bit loose, so I fitted a home made tensioner. But still no change. Chain is lined up with proper tension, no skipping or rubbing. In high revs it flies like dream. But in stroll and low speed the ride is unpleasant. Almost like I feel the bike is pulling intermittently on every single piston movement. It it something wrong, or am I being picky and this is how centrifugal clutch work on these bikes? Cheers!

I doubt, whatever this means. All stock that came with engine on 22" MTB frame with 26" wheels.

You have to pedal when you take off until you get up to speed. Little 4 strokes don't have that much torque to take off with unless you weigh a 100 lbs.

I looked the forum and I think I found the answer to my problem. Wrong gear ratio to wheel size. As far, as I understand I have 3:1 gear ratio on 26" wheels, thus shaking and rough start. I need 5:1. Any idea where can I get if from? Will this do me?

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
I looked the forum and I think I found the answer to my problem. Wrong gear ratio to wheel size. As far, as I understand I have 3:1 gear ratio on 26" wheels, thus shaking and rough start. I need 5:1. Any idea where can I get if from? Will this do me?

Id get a 56t sprocket. A much better upgrade.
That gearbox you have is unfurtunaly a really shakey crappy mess. (My opinion) as its a pocket bike style one (ive has those things fail on regular pocket bikes that make a 1/3 of the power the haustang makes)

I'd get a belt drive if you can afford it. If not then get a 56t sprocket. It'll make it a bit smoother
Sprocket
Belt drive

Last edited:
Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
Back