40mm offset intake?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by Hello Moto!, Jun 2, 2016.

1. Hello Moto!

Hello Moto! Active Member

Anyone know where I can find a 40mm offset intake for a GT5A Skyhawk engine? Trying to run a dellorto clone and don't have the clearance on the Skyhawk frame.

2. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Hello Moto! likes this.
  3. Hello Moto!

Thanks Steve

4. 45u

45u Active Member

WINDY CITY BOB likes this.
  5. Hello Moto!

Thanks guys. That's actually where I bought my Engine kit. I must have missed it when I was looking through the website. I appreciate it.

I might wait til I order another engine for my other bike, then I can stock up on gaskets and small parts and get free shipping lol.

6. 45u

45u Active Member

I have MANY spare parts as I hate to wait on parts but I only buy when I get a very good deal like a new set of cases for $5 shipped 4 cranks for less then $100 shipped not counting all the small stuff. Getting ready to take the cranks and both short and long rod cylinders and pistons and check stock port timing. Yes there is a difference between short and long rod pistons and cylinders and plain on doing a thread. This shows about pistons.

[​IMG]

brokenvespa likes this.
  7. Hello Moto!

Yeah it does suck having to wait for parts lol. Especially when It's just something small like a gasket. I'm starting to get a little surplus of little things I often need.

I decided I'm gonna run the stock carb on my Skyhawk for the time being. Later on when I get another gt5a to replace the eBay motor on my other bike, I'll get the all the extra parts in one shipment. So it'll be running stock for a while.

8. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Hello Moto, I'm ripping along pretty darned fast (55kph/35mph) on all stock parts with only slight modifications.
    I found shorter intake to make better speed.

Steve

9. Hello Moto!

Thanks Steve. I really don't want to put that longer offset intake on my bike but if I decide to run the Dellorto clone carb I'm gonna have to. There is simply not enough room. But heck if I can get 35mph on the stock carb I might not even mess with using it. Another thing is I think the offset intake wont allow my carb to sit level and that's not something I want. Other than the carb if I decide to use it, everything else on the engine will be stock.

10. 45u

45u Active Member

Short intake better top end longer intake better low end torque.

Steve Best likes this.
  11. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

Exactly right. With another few inches and/or a trumpet like air filter housing on my bike, I could take off with the clutch and tractor up hills at very low speeds.

You just gave me an idea Jeff. I could carry the trumpet intake for trail riding, switch to the short intake for the higher speed ride home. I'll have to try it.

Steve

12. Hello Moto!

So the benefits of running a better carb like the Dellorto clone is contradicted by having to use a longer offset intake? I like the idea of having a little more low end but at the same time I'd like to be able to cruise around at at least 25mph. I haven't got a chance to ride my new skyhawk build since I'm waiting on a rear hub adapter but I'd like to be able to get around the 35mph range. You guys think I'll be able to reach that mark with the Dellorto and a longer intake? I may not even mess with changing the carb and intake if the bike runs good with the stock NT carb. I do know on my other Ebay motor kit bike, the Dellorto clone made a big difference over the stock NT. The throttle response was a lot more snappy and direct but I didn't have to use a longer offset intake on that bike. I bent the air filter a bit and it fit.

13. 45u

45u Active Member

I am running my SHA Dellorto with a short intake but it is not stock. It took me a while to get it where the air filter was not hitting the frame but got it. I all so have the long intake I will try one day on something. Build two will be a genuine Mikuni and I will finally be able to adjust the low speed which you cannot do on the SHA clone.

[​IMG]

14. Hello Moto!

Do you have any problems with your carb being at an angle like that? I thought about gettin one of those short cnc intakes.

15. 45u

45u Active Member

Been that way for over 3 gallons of run time ever since I first fired it up.

16. Steve Best

Steve Best Active Member

But Jeff, that just ain't right... And 3 gallons still don't make it right.
    If I saw someone mount my carb like that, I'd come unglued!
    There is a right way to do things and crooked carbs ain't it.
    It's just a little too shadetree, know what I mean?

:) Steve

17. 45u

45u Active Member

Whatever.:p

18. Hello Moto!

The problem is, I think the long offset will put the carb at an angle too. I got my bike moving today and I think the NT is gonna have to go eventually. If you can live with a crooked carb, I think I can too. Especially if that's what I have to do to put the HP carb on my bike. I had the dellorto clone dialed in on my other bike and I loved the performance of that carb compared to the stock one. For now I'll jet this NT on the Skyhawk and live with it for a while. I really think I'm gonna change it in the not to distant future though.

19. 45u

45u Active Member

According to some you better not ride up or down any hills or your carburetor will not be perfectly level. Around here where I live that is NEVER as I have many hills. Start looking at pictures or others and you will see very few are close and others are way off. If it does not leak or flood what does it matter?? Coarse I know there are some that their life is so dull they want to keep up with mine.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2016
  20. Hello Moto!

Well said. If it aint broke, don't fix it lol