49cc VS 66/80cc

Lloyde

Local time
5:24 AM
So I've been heavily curious about this for a while... for most of the US, 50cc and under are considered Legal without having to get your bike registered, insurance, and so on, and Because of this I chose a 49cc engine, so why are the 66/80cc engines so widely used instead of the 49cc?

On top of that, there are a LOT MORE 66/80cc parts, accessories, and modifications on EVERY website that sells gasbike kits/parts.

I've been watching some Bikeberry videos on youtube to get an idea of what parts I want to get for my gasbike, and they ONLY test on the 66/80cc engines. Usually claiming that everything, including the engine, is brand new.

From my experience, on flat land with little to no wind, my little 49cc will consistently move about 25mph full throttle, but the gentleman in the Bikeberry videos with his seemingly infinite supply of 66/80cc engines seems to be moving closer to around 30mph full throttle.

Is there really that much difference between the two engine sizes?

I put together a patreon (because my job doesn't pay me enough) and will upload my findings there first, and on youtube about a week or two later.

The 66/80 ccare slightly better performance wise, which is a main reason they are more popular. Most cops don't care how big your engine is, just how you ride.

so why are the 66/80cc engines so widely used instead of the 49cc?
What cop do you know that if he pulled you over would know the difference of 49cc vs a 66cc motor just by looking at it...lol.

On top of that, there are a LOT MORE 66/80cc parts, accessories, and modifications on EVERY website that sells gasbike kits/parts.
Precisely, because there are more of them then 49cc motors out there right now.

Is there really that much difference between the two engine sizes?
YEP...lol.
And if you went with a Phantom 85 like what some of us here on the forums have, your talking 50MPH right outta the box with no add on modifications...lol.

Screenshot_20240204-203850.png

Check it out, I'm magical.

Links to eBay may include affiliate code. If you click on an eBay link and make a purchase, this forum may earn a small commission.
The only cop that has ever pulled me over was in 2009. I had rim lights and wasnt using a front headlight. It was 10pm, my child was 3years old and i was rushing to the store for milk. Got ticketed for not using lights on a 66cc that was labeled 48cc. Went to court a month later, the judge threw the case out of the court room. Only time in my life the government didn't m0lest me for my money.

Back