49cc VS 66/80cc

The difference between the 48cc and the 66cc is about 2mm of bore. Properly tuned you might get about a sixth to a quarter more hp from the 66 compared to the 48 (125-185 watts) but an average person with moderate training can sustain about 150-180 watts all day long.

Realistically, you're probably getting 1.5-2 hp from a stock engine, broken in, with the proper jetting. A tuned pipe and a low restriction air filter would improve that but you will never get anything near the performance of even a 125 motorcycle from a china doll. And that's okay! That's not why you should buy one of these kits. You buy one of these kits to go lance armstrong fast while only pedalling to get it started and to maintain speed up hills.

If power meters are to be believe a good roadie, not even a pro racer can put down 1000 watts for extremely brief sprint. A basic china doll can do that at 5k rpm, for 20-30 minutes. Not bad for a couple hundred, sans bicycle?

What cop do you know that if he pulled you over would know the difference of 49cc vs a 66cc motor just by looking at it...lol.

Precisely, because there are more of them then 49cc motors out there right now.

YEP...lol.
And if you went with a Phantom 85 like what some of us here on the forums have, your talking 50MPH right outta the box with no add on modifications...lol.
Been out training, and left my laptop at home.

I live on base (military member) and have been stopped many times by the base cops (MPs, SFs, whatever they are called depending on the branch).

After I got the OK from the Motorcycle Safety Instructor and I started riding on base I would get stopped almost every time for what I would then call "The Usual Grilling," (is that legal, how many CCs, do you have insurance, have you taken the class [b/c if I hadn't taken the class = BIG TROUBLE for me], etc, etc) until I managed to print and laminate an email from the Motorcycle Safety Instructor saying that it was OK to ride without the class, then I would just hold up my (INDEX) finger to say "wait a moment" as I dug it out of my pack.

And especially the older cops would pull up the site, eyeball the size ratio between what I had equipped, and the kit as shown on the store page, and ask additional questions as needed: like when I had changed the Cylinder Head because the stock cylinder head broke in half while going down the road one day.

Now, most of the time it's by other drivers with "Dude that is cool! What is it? Did you have to take the class? And where can I get one?!"

Did I still go out and buy a Motorcycle Jacket and other protective gear like lights and a High-Viz vest on my own accord? Frick Yeah! I wanna be seen and protected, especially on that 1/2 mile stretch of civilian highway between base housing and the front gate!!!

(is that legal, how many CCs, do you have insurance, have you taken the class [b/c if I hadn't taken the class = BIG TROUBLE for me], etc, etc)
Which proves my original point...lol...They are asking the questions because they have no idea how many CC's just by looking, they would have to pull it apart and take micrometer measurements...lol.
What cop do you know that if he pulled you over would know the difference of 49cc vs a 66cc motor just by looking at it...lol.

Being pulled over on base is a whole different kettle of fish to fry as military base regulations apply which are far different than towns and cities that are under civilian oversight.

Which proves my original point...lol...They are asking the questions because they have no idea how many CC's just by looking, they would have to pull it apart and take micrometer measurements...lol.
I've had 2 separate occasions with different SF members do just that (they clearly had too much time on their heads). In which I told them that I needed their names, their... to make it short, I got their hole command, including phone numbers, and they should just follow me to my place of work (not like I could outrun them going only 25mph ) and they could INVENTORY EVERYTING as they took it apart, because I wasn't about to get yelled at or written up for being "late."

The military can be quite anal about making the enlisted follow the rules, yet surprisingly blind when an officer breaks the same, or worse rules. I can't tell you how many times a Lieutenant was caught Drinking & Driving, and only got a slap on the wrist when an enlisted would get a reduction in rank (and thus reduction in pay) or simply kicked out.

The military can be quite anal about making the enlisted follow the rules, yet surprisingly blind when an officer breaks the same, or worse rules. I can't tell you how many times a Lieutenant was caught Drinking & Driving, and only got a slap on the wrist when an enlisted would get a reduction in rank (and thus reduction in pay) or simply kicked out.
Welcome to the world of double standards where some people are more equal than others...It only gets more pitiful from this point onward...lol...lol.

and they could INVENTORY EVERYTING as they took it apart, because I wasn't about to get yelled at or written up for being "late."
I take it that at that point, they didn't even bother, knowing there might be officers at your work point that might be looking out after you protecting you from this goon squad...lol.

Back