6.5hp push trailer....version 1.0

Discussion in 'Push Trailers' started by Gen3Benz, Apr 12, 2009.

1. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

Almost finished with my push trailer...just needs some paint.
    Of course it had to rain so i'll have to wire wheel some rust off.
    Props go to bikeman6969 and macarollo for answering questions and posting pics.

I made a pivot hitch that resembles a universal swivel socket....with a center piece and 2 pins for up/down and left/right
    Mounted the tubing at an angle to counter the seat mounting angle.
    [​IMG]

Made a push bar from 1.5" .095 square tube...put some gussets where the tube join and at the base.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Basically just a copy of bikeman's trailer made from angle iron, 3/16 plate and a jackshaft config.
    [​IMG]
    12t clutch to 13t....16t to 40t
    2.7:1 ratio...I was gonna use a 48t rear but I ordered a sprocket for 41 chain by accident.
    I will likely change out the 2nd sprocket for a 16t to give me 3.3:1
    It pushes my 200lb self around just fine right now though

Lemme know what ya think :grin5:

2. macarollo

macarollo Guest

awesome setup!

Did you remove the Rev limiter?

With a 2.7:1 ratio I think you can hit 55mph.... if the rev limiter is removed!

If that was my setup I would shorten the jackshaft so it is not sticking out off the sides.... not a huge deal, but it would look better if it was flush with the bearings.

As Mountainman would say.... RIDE THAT THING!

3. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Also, does your gas tank lip ever touch the post? I had that problem with my new setup... when I would hit a bump it would smash against the post.... I think yours has enough clearance.

I had to make brackets and move the gas tank back a few inches so it would not hit.

4. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

No bar to tank interference...pretty stout bar....I think I could lift a car with it :grin5:

Yes, I did remove the rev limiter.

Going to cut off the rest of the jackshaft when I remove stuff for paint.

Got it up to 44.8 on my gps....way too fast for this bike
    Gonna change the #1 jackshaft gear to a 16t or 18t...dont need that much speed.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2009
  5. macarollo

macarollo Guest

I also like your built in pivot.... I wish mine had that.

Do you have a remote kill switch? What did you use for your throttle setup?

Is that an air tire?

6. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

Dont have a kill switch wired yet.....will do that later.

I used an old lever shifter from an old junk bike and mounted it upside down so it looks like a thumb throttle.
    It works ok....gonna use a brake lever eventually.

Tire is a tricam no flat....today it destroyed itself.
    I must have be rough on it because it started losing chunks and eventually chunked itself to death.

7. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Excellent job on the push trailer!!! I love the metal work and that nice square tubing used on the hitch! It seems folks like you are having good luck with these newer model Lifan engines, as I see.

Wow, if you tore up that tire already, then you may have been a bit heavy on the throttle, LOL. That's awesome!

My 6.5HP trailer spins a 13 inch rubber Pocketbike tire (3.2 ratio) if I get on it too hard, and I lube my clutch for smoother takeoffs to reduce my tirespin. I find if you go real easy on the throttle, and let it creep up to speed, things last longer. However, these 6.5's are raw untamed power, so count on it to beat up your tire, hehe.

Can't wait to see more! Keep us posted! I love to see the work and creativity put in your trailer! As you see, they are a lot of fun, and very useful, as several of us have them, and continue to enjoy them.

Crazy Riding,
    ZnsaneRyder :jester:

8. macarollo

macarollo Guest

Did you accelerate from a stop? I usually pedal first... too much stress on drivetrain/tire otherwise.

OR you have a cheap tire.

9. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

Thanks, i'll keep updating.
    I will do a search for the pocketbike tires.

Oh yeah...I never pedaled....actually I got on it a little hard from a stop.

I was think about going with a rubber tire filled with foam.
    Or maybe a concrete roller like the flintstones use:jester:

10. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

An excellent job mechanically,but inherently quite dangerous, as all the other highpowered pushers.Small radius tuns could be a problem due to long 'wheel base'.

11. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

Definitely dangerous.....but I cant stop smiling when I ride it :grin5:

Turns pretty good with my hitch but I will have to stay on the street....no trips to the side walk.
    Some parts of my bike ride to work I like to get off the street while peddling to get away from the crazy drivers.
    I can do the speed limit on all the streets to work now....maybe some of the cars will go to the sidewalk now :jester:

Biggest concern now is brakes.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  12. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

Nice build Gen3Benz,

Brakes would be very high on my list of upgrades with that kind of power.:grin5::grin5::grin5:

Ride hard stay SAFE.:cool2::cool2:

13. bikeman6969

bikeman6969 Member

nice job

That looks just like the one i have. it runs like a raped ape. i go 45mph with mine and i took a 6 gallon milk crate and covered the whole thing so people look at me like i am nuts going past them at 45mph with a milk crate. Here, check out the pix.

Attached Files:

14. Revorunner

Revorunner Member

That's SWEET Bikeman6969,

Nice job.:grin5::grin5:

15. macarollo

macarollo Guest

I like your kickstand bikeman!

We could almost start a push trailer gang! These are getting pretty popular.

16. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

w00t w00t!!! We really should!!! We could ride together or start a meet, lol.

Gen3Benz, are you able to swap your 13T and 16T around? If so, that would lower your gearing with the sprockets you already have. 12T-16T ; 13T-40T. BTW, I like how you used that angle iron. It looks like it's too much fun already! 45mph is very fast indeed.

BTW FYI, the one-wheeled trailers are EXCELLENT, and much safer, as you can turn on a dime, and it pivots on the one wheel, and turning radius is no issue in most environments. I know because my old two wheel trailer was a ***** to turn around. Also being able to lean more on fast turns is much safer! I let several of my friends ride it, and they all say it's very easy to ride, but scary to go full speed, lol.

BTW, Bikeman6969, I LOVE your trailer!!! I GOTTA find a milk-crate like that!

Also, some pics of my NEW 6.5HP trailer, and my bro's 2.5HP trailer. 38mph for the 2.5. No confirmed final top speed as of yet on the 6.5.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  17. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

Copied your design...angle iron and all :grin5:

I love the updates to your trailer, red paint and the milk crate is an awesome idea.
    I was looking through the pics so quickly that I didn't notice the kickstand until macarollo pointed it out....sweet!
    Definitely on my list of upgrades.

I was in such a hurry to ride this thing that I didn't pretty it up...paint, rounding the edges, trimming the JS...etc...etc...
    I think I might route the throttle cable inside the tube.
    Took it all apart tonight to finish it up.

You're right....that would net me a 4.10 ratio.
    I am in love with the tire on the blue trailer!
    That must be the 13" pocketbike wheel.
    What site did you pick that up from?

18. ZnsaneRyder

ZnsaneRyder Member

Thanks. I got lucky with that wheel.

That 13" wheel and sprocket was free and given to me from an old bunch of pocketbike parts. It was originally going out to the trash before I got it. The tire was flat, but held air fine, and was barely worn at all, and I was able to weld the 40-chain, 32T sprocket to it, and paint it, so I had a complete axle/bearings/wheel/tire/sprocket assembly for free, and I already had a clutch and a #40 chain.

I like the pocketbike tire, except it bounces a lot if over 15psi, and it's already getting worn some from the 6.5, but is still doing very well, and never has gone flat. It goes very well at high speed.

However, I'd recommend the 15" flat-free tire my bro's trailer has. Stick with flat-free. It bounces very little, and grips well. My bro's trailer bounces much less than mine due to that tire.

Gen3Benz, if you want a better flat-free tire for your trailer, try the 10-inch Amerityre ones at Harbor Freight tools. They are the widest and fattest of the ones I have found so far, and should fit your rim much better.

10-inch tire: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94313

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  19. Gen3Benz

Gen3Benz Member

I have seen the ameityre 10" no-flat tires in HF.
    They seem to be made of the same material as the one I just destroyed...heavy foam rubber.
    They also dont come on a split rim, so I would have to cut it off the wheel.
    edit: cut the wheel...not the tire :)

I just ordered a 10" rubber tire and a tube.....I think if the tire seats on the bead it should handle the torque.
    If the tube doesnt work i'm gonna get the tire filled with foam.
    Or just be out more money :)

Anyone ever thought of 2 wheels mounted right next to each other in the center making a real fat tire:
    Maybe I'll save that idea for version 2.......with a 13hp motor ;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2009
  20. macarollo

macarollo Guest

We have so many push trailers now... I think we could use our own push trailer forum... they have them for rack mounted and frame mounted bikes... why not for us?