79cc Lifan Engine Mods?

Another GC190 build.

1F9E16EF-8808-4AC0-B177-72DDD26A9B79.jpeg

OK, I did some calculations based on the fact that most 2 strokes that will fit in the Phatmoto turn about 10,000 rpm in the meat of the powerband. That means I would be going about 43 mph and that is a lot faster than I want to go...so 2 strokes are off the "potential" list of engines at least at this point in time.

Just my opinion but it seems like all of the 212cc engines are a little too heavy and too powerful for the Phatmoto to handle reliabley.

Has anyone installed a 4 stroke engine with a displacement between 79cc and 212cc? Just trying to find something with a little more power than the Lifan 79cc engine and lighter than the 212cc engines AND that somebody has verified will fit in the Phatmoto without too many modifications. Options I am still investigating are the Briggs LO206/Animal and the Honda GX series of engines.

Thanks for any info :).
You already have the Lifan, right? Why not pop the head off and port it and breathe a little life into it. It would put you easily in the 35mph range without pedal assist.

I put a 79cc Harbor Freight-ish type engine on a mini chopper. That engine has a .625 crank so I used a spacer between the crank and TAV, the TAV has a .750 driver, it doesn't have any pedals to assist and it takes off great. I tried like three different clutch setups on it and couldn't get it out of the gate, clutch gear, in and out on the jack shaft and 60 tooth rear, all those fell flat. The TAV gave it the variable drive it needed.

Putting any thing more on your bike will make the pedals redundant and a lot faster than you want to go. If you're just making it for trail riding, then yea, go for it. Where the pedals are, just put a couple foot pegs and bin the pedals and crank, they're just going to be in the way for trail riding.

You already have the Lifan, right? Why not pop the head off and port it and breathe a little life into it. It would put you easily in the 35mph range without pedal assist.

I put a 79cc Harbor Freight-ish type engine on a mini chopper. That engine has a .625 crank so I used a spacer between the crank and TAV, the TAV has a .750 driver, it doesn't have any pedals to assist and it takes off great. I tried like three different clutch setups on it and couldn't get it out of the gate, clutch gear, in and out on the jack shaft and 60 tooth rear, all those fell flat. The TAV gave it the variable drive it needed.

Putting any thing more on your bike will make the pedals redundant and a lot faster than you want to go. If you're just making it for trail riding, then yea, go for it. Where the pedals are, just put a couple foot pegs and bin the pedals and crank, they're just going to be in the way for trail riding.

Thanks Chainlube...I figured the TAV would be a good idea, I just don't have any hands on experience with them. Just FYI for others..."TAV" is just another name for "Torque Converter"/"CVT".

Why don't I mod the 79cc Lifan that is already on the bike....well my apprehension is a billet rod is not available for it which means if I start turning it much over the governed rpm, the dipper will break and trash the engine. If I keep it below the governed rpm, even with intake/exhaust mods, I don't think it is going to change the engine's output significantly...well at least not enough for me to consider it significant :).

Chainlube...what brand and displacement was the engine you used for your mini chopper? Can you tell us if it had better power than the 79cc Lifan? One option I am considering is installing a Predator 79cc engine from Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/gener...hv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69733.html) if I can verify it has better power than the 79cc Lifan but I have not investigated billet rod availability for the small Predator yet :)...Thanks.

Thanks Chainlube...I figured the TAV would be a good idea, I just don't have any hands on experience with them. Just FYI for others..."TAV" is just another name for "Torque Converter"/"CVT".

Why don't I mod the 79cc Lifan that is already on the bike....well my apprehension is a billet rod is not available for it which means if I start turning it much over the governed rpm, the dipper will break and trash the engine. If I keep it below the governed rpm, even with intake/exhaust mods, I don't think it is going to change the engine's output significantly...well at least not enough for me to consider it significant :).

Chainlube...what brand and displacement was the engine you used for your mini chopper? Can you tell us if it had better power than the 79cc Lifan? One option I am considering is installing a Predator 79cc engine from Harbor Freight (https://www.harborfreight.com/gener...hv-horizontal-shaft-gas-engine-epa-69733.html) if I can verify it has better power than the 79cc Lifan but I have not investigated billet rod availability for the small Predator yet :)...Thanks.
I believe ARC is making billet rods & flywheels for the 79cc lifan, I know they do for the predator.

It's a knock off of the Predator from Harbor. Not sure what the out put is, I think 3hp. Like I said I tried three centrifugal clutch configurations, on to my jack shaft but it never really put out. TAV (Torque-A-Vertor) Comet clutch gave it the variable ratio it needed. I put a 18 tooth gear on the input side of the jack shaft and a 14 on the output side. That gave it the whomp it needed, even with my fat arse on it. It's more of a kids bike so I didn't want to go too crazy with the power. Even tho I put a PZ19 carb on it.

Is the Lifan a OHC engine or OHV?

I believe ARC is making billet rods & flywheels for the 79cc lifan, I know they do for the predator.

No rods on the ARC web site for any of the 79cc engines that I could find. Please post a link if you find something...Thanks.

It's a knock off of the Predator from Harbor. Not sure what the out put is, I think 3hp. Like I said I tried three centrifugal clutch configurations, on to my jack shaft but it never really put out. TAV (Torque-A-Vertor) Comet clutch gave it the variable ratio it needed. I put a 18 tooth gear on the input side of the jack shaft and a 14 on the output side. That gave it the whomp it needed, even with my fat arse on it. It's more of a kids bike so I didn't want to go too crazy with the power. Even tho I put a PZ19 carb on it.

Is the Lifan a OHC engine or OHV?
Nice job on the mount.

The Lifan 79cc engine is pushrod operated OHV. Nice little engine, I am just spoiled, as far as acceleration, with my high amperage electric bike.

Here's a picture of the mount I built to put the cylinder vertical.
Chainlube I used to set my flathead briggs up like that on my race karts. Does it hurt to mount the new style ohv briggs, say like the 206briggs like that? As long as you got the correct amount of oil? Or does something need changed around or modified for the oiling needs.

Back