A call for help to Louisiana MB riders.

Simon, I dare say you are not simple at all but a man with a very sharp mind and eye. What you have told me reflects my own desires. When I first looked into purchasing a MB, I could not find a distrbuter listed here in Louisiana. After purchasing one from Spookytooth, I was exited.. Now I want to open a shop to build and sell custom. Motored bikes. I have been a fabricator most of my life. I also weld and do some machinist work. I love this idea and I want to see it come to fruition with everything in me. Keep me posted on your progress as I will you. Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for the compliment, but I really am a pretty simple and straight forward guy. I just keep my eyes, and my mind, open.

With your expertise and skills, building MB's should be no big deal. I would caution, however, that if you are fabricating and selling completed MB's you are setting yourself up for potentially ruinous liability issues, and possibly courting prosecution for manufacturing and selling unlicensed "motor vehicle" under Louisiana law.

I think that, as the laws here now read, the business model as a "for profut" assembler and re-seller of MB's is untenable. What you might consider is a path pioneered by a member here, graucho, who has organized a small scale "mentoring" program for young folks who build their MB under his guidance in his shop. Such a program insures that the owner/rider understands their MB, knows how to deal with the inevitable minor mechanical difficulties, has access to a well equipped shop and competent mechanical guidance, and a resource to turn to with problems. Such a program would, hopefully, generate three positive results: 1) getting more riders on MB's who are committed to safe practices; 2) teach others the basic skills to build a safe and ridable machine, and; 3) inspire an occasional emulator.

Making and selling completed machines is all well and good, but inspiring an occasional person to pass their newly acquired interests and skills on to yet others is the only real hope of building a large enough rider group to motivate changing the laws in favor of these machines. Geometric growth always trumps arithmetic growth.

It's a pity the full length of the state lies between us, as I'd love to work on motored bike designs and construction. My biggest problem is the physical limitations I deal with, followed closely by the financial limitations that are a direct result.

If I may interject an outside opinion here.....Scarecrow, you will find that Simon is far from simple, and I find this exchange very heartening. This is how things get done. I wish I was a bit closer to you guys. A mutual support arrangement always makes things go better. I visited some people around Monroe, several years ago, and found Louisiana people very nice. I could do without the snakes though. :mad:

Anyway, it sounds like you are putting your ducks in a row, and good luck.

One thing I have been contemplating is researching the legal requirements to act as a "manufacturer" of a line of bicycle frames designed specifically with motorization in mind, and meeting the DOT requirements to qualify as "light duty motorcycle" frames, so that a V.I.N. can be assigned each completed bike frame. With a vin number, motorizing and subsequently registering/insuring the ride is enormously simplified.

If done properly, the completed bicycle will be guaranteed to be workable for motorization, it will incorporate frame materials meeting or exceeding the strengths of materials requirements, and will be properly set up for lighting fixtures, braking equipment, etc.

Obviously enough, custom motorcycle builders all over the country manage this task daily, and there certainly seems to be sufficient demand level to support a small scale manufacturer in this niche market. I realize that lots of folks won't be open to such bikes, as they'd just as soon build their own variants and ride them, taking their chances on the law. For myself, remaining within the extant legal requirements is important, because I prefer my life remain uncomplicated and uninvolved with law enforcement agencies. Not too mention, breaking the law just because I can get away with it and I want to, holds no appeal for me.

Thanks for the interjection Ibdennyak. Your right Simon isn't simple at all and I for one appreciate your opinion. I don't consider it outside at all. The more we pull together , the more we can accomplish So join in here and help us where ya can. " Many hands make the load lighter" I don't know who said it but its true. Simon, once again I see your mind racing on that keen edge. I'm tuned in on this one. I'm an artist at heart and that is what makes me enjoy fabrication. I like taking raw materials and making something nice and usefull out of them. I'm with you on this line of frames. I have also given that some thought but more along the custom line. I never thought about a "line of frames" in particular . Although I am partial to streched cruizers and chopper styles. I even like some of the trikes out there. Tell us more and oh by the way. Don't forget to pass some of that wisdom and knowledge on to the generations coming after you.

Hello there. dinoseer from Baton Rouge. I believe the longer MB's stay underground, the better. The more exposure these Motorized Bicycles get, the more likely the State Legislators will change the current law and force all MB's to be registered, licensed and insured(R L & I). Once this happens it won't make sense to pay all this money to the State to put a MB on the road, when for a few pennies more, a real motorcycle can be had. The law as I read it makes MB's in Louisiana legal(without R L & I) as long as the motor is under 50cc or 500 watts (for electric), is not used on a highway posted over 50mph and the bicycle is operated under 25mph. I was "pulled over" by State Troopers in downtown Baton Rouge a couple of months ago and by using the above argument with two fat troopers and one LT who showed up (after I asked for a supervisor), I was let go with no tickets. The need to organize MBers is not yet necessary until the State changes the laws to end what might be perceived as loopholes in existing law.

On another note, a new law was passed this session requiring a Red Rear Light at night on Bicycles, which will be a ticket offense come December. What I found that was ignorant about this new law is that riders under 10 years old are not required to have a rear light. I am still trying to figure this one out. If anyone should have lights, it should be children, not that children belong out after dark riding a bicycle or anything else for that matter.

Photos of my Motorized Service Bicycle can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Baton...!/album.php?aid=201172&id=172988187588&ref=mf

As long as Louisiana is part of the United States of America.... then, by golly, you deserve the same rights as citizens of the other states... as sworn by EVERY government agent to uphold the U.S. Constitution, which states:

Article IV - The States
Section 2 - State citizens, Extradition

The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States.

It's that simple. The Creators of the Constitution knew that the people inherently know right from wrong. If murder is truly unlawful, then all 50 states will outlaw and and not provide licensing for it.

For a lawful act, perhaps only 49 states will "permit" it, and then you've got some corporation like THE STATE OF NEW YORK screwing up everything that is "standard", however... thanks to the U.S. Constitution... *all* New Yorkers deserve the same privileges and immunities as *all* the citizens of the several states.

P.S. -- Good luck to SimpleSimon and his manufacturing output. I hope you're the next Captain Henry Miller Shreve. :)

Ask, and ye shall receive....

In Louisiana, a motorized bicycle or moped is a pedal bicycle with a motor rated no more than 1.5 brake horsepower, a cylinder capacity of no more than 50 cubic centimeters, and an automatic transmission that produces no more than 25 mph on a flat surface.

To operate a moped on Louisiana roads, you must be at least 15 years old and have a valid driver's license with a motorcycle endorsement. However, drivers who are between 15 and 16 years of age are restricted to operating their moped within three miles of their primary residence, unless they are traveling with a parent or guardian.

Hope that clears things up.

Dat Bike Guy!

And there's more....

To register your moped, bring the following documents to your local DMV:

Bill of sale

Title or notarized certificate of origin

Evidence of security interest by a UCC-1 or equivalent form

Odometer statement

Proof of insurance

The title fee for a moped is $18.50, plus an $8 handling fee. Additional fees and taxes will vary according to the purchase price of your vehicle and your parish location. If you have a question about moped registration procedures, you can contact the DMV at (877) DMV-LINE.

Although the DMV is unable to accept credit card payments at walk-in office locations, available forms of payment include:

Cash
Check (if it includes your driver's license number)
Money order
Cashier's check

Regardless of whether your moped has been properly registered, it is against the law to operate it on a sidewalk, interstate highway, or location that will impede traffic flow.

Dat Bike Guy!

Back