A New One From Portland, Oregon.

Help With Motorizing My Townie ... ???

great post there newbie! come on down & ride with a few of the origionals on the forum & really get the lowdown on drivetrains! longbeach peninsula, ocean park wa!

Thanks for the invite ... I wish that I lived close enough, and I would join you guys ... I'm all the way down in central Californiia ... My aunt and uncle do the long-distance rides -- France, Germany, Hawaii, England, Montana, California, and many other places ....

I need help with figuring out exactly which motor kit to use on my Electra Townie .. ??? I have decided to spend as much as I can possibly afford ... which could be around $800.00-1,000.00 or more ...

I will be riding bicycles for the rest of my life. Driving is wasting too much of my money (which is quite limited). If I continue driving, I will spend between $500.00-600.00 every month, or more ... That's $6,000.000 or more every year ... !!!

So, even if I invest several thousand dollars on bicycles, it will be a very wise investment for me ... And besides, I plan on actually pedaling as much as I can still .... I need the exercise, and my boys enoy riding bikes with me too ....

I will be riding my Electra Townie between 300-400 miles every month, some months as much as 500 miles. I will pedal at least 150-200 miles each month, so I will be using the motor for around 150-300 miles each month.

What would be th expected life of an electric motor/battery? Also, what is the expected life of my Electra Townie? Before I will need to start replacing bicycle parts ... ???

Last edited:
Keep Original Wheels ... ???

What are the options available if I want to keep the original wheels ... ??? I was reading something about a motor that attaches to the spokes. Is that a good system?

Back