advise on selling 196cc push trailer...

Hi macarollo. IMO, Too much info. Your target audience is very slim. Those interested probably have seen them on youtube or have read about them.

You have to increase/expand your marketing audience to the whole country. Include shipping options. Ebay, linked to a video clip to youtube?

Just my opinion, but it seems to me that anyone interested in something like that is probably the type of person that would build it themselves, not purchase it for 3X the cost of parts. It will be difficult to sell. I find that even when I try to sell factory made things that need even the slightest amount of work, most people are scared away. There are fewer of us around that don't mind tinkering and fixing things, especially someone elses one-off contraption. But you never know, maybe Ebay...

I am definately not charging 3x what the parts cost. I would have to sit down and add them all up.

I did sell my HT kit bike for $400. I only had about $250 in it.

I do agree, it is going to take a special person to buy my rig.

If you are concerned with excessive top speed, there's a screw in the throttle assembly you can turn to limit max throttle travel. You can easily limit it to only go 30mph max, which is still slower than many regular 50-80cc MB's.

Sell it at their own risk. Make yourself not accountable for their riding. It just happens, that you can get hurt on any bicycle, so they need to be aware of that. If you are smart these can be rode fine, as legal as possible, just don't go too fast in the wrong places. Keep the HP for the highway, and cruise easy in town at nice and quiet low RPM.

It's just as legal as any 80cc bike engine kit would be. Over the displacement and HP, so drive it slow.

IMO, you shouldn't sell it, but keep it as a toy for yourself. If you really must sell it, you could even try to find a cheaper used engine to put in the place of the 6.5, so it won't be so fast, and use the 6.5 for another project. I'm putting a used 2HP briggs on my old trailer so I can sell it with legal HP, geared for 25mph max, and be slower and safe. If you do still sell it with the 6.5, set a good price for it.

Either way, these trailers are cool, many people want one. Few dare to ride with one, hehehehe!

Last edited:
Finding someone crazy enough to ride it is the hard part.

I keep thinking that if I sell it.... one day I might be watching the local news and see a story about someone getting in a terrible accident who was riding a 50mph bike pusher.

If I didn't destory and remove the governor gear I could simply use that to keep the speeds at a sane speed. Probably with the governor it would hit 35mph tops.

Last edited by a moderator:
governor -- not a big deal

hope that you will let us know in the end -- what you get for it

there's someone out there that will get a real kick out of that set up

have noticed here in San Diego
many advertise motorized bicycles for sale in the bicycle section of news paper

for the small price you are charging -- should bring someone a trill or two ride !!

still think that if you get an offer close to 25% below what you got in it -- take it

ride that thing

I know there is someone out there who will want it. I get comments on it all the time.

I am trying to get maximum dollar out of my rig. I will lower the price if I get no bites. One guy emailed me an offer of $200. I couldn't believe him.

I sold my crappy time setup for $400, I think this one is worth more.

Make another video on You-tube, mentioning your intent to sell.

:unsure:Sell it there.

Worldwide exposure.

Yah, make another video before you sell. We want to see some action shots. I'd like to see how well it does going up hill.

I am asking $550 for now. MY HT sold for $400 so I figured this one is at least $150 better... it goes 50mph vs. the HT 30mph.

The guy who said $200.... I replied and told him that was insultingly low. He said sorry he cannot do more... "the economy is just too bad right now"... the email showed that he sent the message from his Blackberry Bold.

The economy is too bad to pay for a motorized bike, but not too bad to pay for a nice top of the line Blackberry?

Ignore the idiots that are trying to scam you by asking for a stupidly low price. The economy is just an excuse. If someone has the money, they will pay for it.

The dummy asking for only $200 obviously doesn't know the value of such machinery. The engine+clutch alone is worth over $200, not even counting the rest of the trailer.

Keep your price firm. Your rig is still BRAND NEW! Nobody serious would invest $$$ into a new project, just to sell it for less than they payed for it. I'd only sell it for less if it was used a lot. You don't even have near 500 miles on it yet.

Don't be in too big of a hurry to sell it. Just make a profit, that's the main thing.

How about adding something to the trailer to haul stuff. That IMO would raise the value and make it much more appealing. In other words, it would be more than just a bike pusher, it would make it a working motorized trailer.

Last edited:
Back