Any ideas for passenger foot-pegs?

Ollie

Local time
12:06 AM
Today I bought a rear pannier rack for my bike with the intention to make a passenger seat. I've zip-tied an old sprung saddle to it but I'm not sure what to do for foot-pegs. I don't have enough axle space to bolt on BMX pegs, so I wondered if anybody had any suggestions. FYI, the saddle is mounted backwards to make it level. I also don't have access to welding equipment or I'd just tag something onto the chain stays.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 527
  • Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 428
Last edited:
Racks aren't designed to support a human being. Some states in the USA will allow you to put a baby carriage on a rack. So here in the USA its illegal to transport more than one person on a bicycle designed for one person. The only exception is a baby.

It's not allowed here because a rack can't support the weight of a human. 75 lbs on a rack would really be pushing it.

Hey Jerry, thanks for the warning. Law-wise I can do what I like here, but you make a good point about the strength. After seeing local street merchants and delivery guys over-loading this type of rack I assumed they could take a considerable weight. I'll make sure to strengthen it before I accept any passengers; I've got some old rigid forks kicking about that might be good for it.

Nice pegs, they would be great! Due to Brazil's 100% import tax, the cost of getting them shipped here is beyond what I can justify spending, but I'll have a look around locally for something similar. Thanks for the idea :)

If you can find a steel peg with thread length of at least 1.5 times the diameter (.38" * 1.5 = .56") , this is the engineering rule I was taught.
Of course you would need to tighten it just like an axle nut with the same torque.

I have seen some cheap steel pegs that were so thin that that they must have been meant to be used like a washer under the axle nut,
that might work.

Google image search for -- clamp on footpegs. These are for motorcycles, but you might be able to make your own.

Last edited:
Motorcycle shops used to sell buddy pegs that clamped around your swing arm. You may be able to adapt a set of those to your motorbike.

Just get 2 pieces of 1/8 inch flat steel about 4 inches each.
Drill a hole in them, (near ends) and put them behind the nuts on the rear axle.
Put a crescent wrench on them, and bend them out. (Unless you have a vise. Then you can hammer or bend them easily)
Now wrap them real good with tape, so you don't gouge your ankles.

It may not be pretty, but it will work.

@SunkyWorks - That looks like a good rule of thumb, thanks. One worry I have is that the pegs may come loose as the passenger shifts around. Do you think that's likely to happen?

@Scootmeister - After a short trip with a willing volunteer, it appears that the engine can deal with 2 people comfortably (on flat ground). The brake can stop the bike effectively at low speeds, but I'd never ride fast with a passenger anyway. I appreciate the concern, FYI no further passengers will be accepted until I've strengthened the back end and installed foot-pegs.

@wheelbender6 - The kind of thing you mention is what I first thought of, but after a recent debacle with my chain tensioner I realised that my chainstays will squash flat before allowing anything to be securely clamped to them.

@Stoltzee - I've been trying to find some L-shaped brackets that match what you're describing, I may have to make my own then. Thanks :)

I've got an idea brewing that'll combine a re-enforcment of the passenger seat with a place to mount foot-pegs. I've posted a brief sketch below. Basically it's a wooden frame that fits under the rack (to help support weight) and is attached to the chainstays (and every other part of the frame available). I'll drill some holes in the sides and bolt on some old pedals for foot-pegs. I don't have the equipment for drilling steel, so wood is going to be my material of choice for now. Am I making a terrible mistake?

passenger.jpg

Back