Any tips to stop going through so many rear wheels??

Momo

Local time
9:05 AM
Any tips to stop going through so many rear wheels?? I've rode maybe 200 miles on my bike so far and have gone through three rear wheels already. Bent rim and loose spokes. I'm only 155lbs and don't have any luggage weight on the rear and only do city road riding. I'm thinking of investing in a set of Gemini wheels but don't want to spend all of the money if they're just going to get bent up like these past wheels.

What kind of sprocket setup are you using? Rag joint, hub adapter, disc brake rim?

I've had an axle bend from torque and rag joints will break spokes if not perfectly tight but rim bending is pretty severe unless its well worn and cheap.

Any tips to stop going through so many rear wheels?? I've rode maybe 200 miles on my bike so far and have gone through three rear wheels already. Bent rim and loose spokes. I'm only 155lbs and don't have any luggage weight on the rear and only do city road riding. I'm thinking of investing in a set of Gemini wheels but don't want to spend all of the money if they're just going to get bent up like these past wheels.
If it is street riding only, consider going with mag rims with disk brakes like I did...I changed mine out to mags about three or so years ago and I will NEVER go back to spoked rims that require constant "trueing" of the wheel etc.

They come as a set on sale at this moment for Sale price $127.46 plus shipping cost.

Here is mine with those mags and disk brakes in pic below...They come in different colours as well.

Attachments

• DSCN0229.JPG
    DSCN0229.JPG
    224.1 KB · Views: 44
As the adage goes. You get what you pay for.

Or, buy once, cry once.

You need a wheel with heavy Guage spokes and decent rim quality. The Gemini wheels have both, and they use roller bearings for the hub, which is a good upgrade from the standard cup and cone bearing most bikes use. Keep then original wheels on hand to sell with the bike, and take the Gemini wheels off to use on another bike if you ever decide to upgrade.

1 message and we're assuming what kit this guy has. Maybe we should ask him and then can give specific answers. Momo, what kit/drive system are you using?

Back