Anyone else ride a pedal bike as well as a motored bike?

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by bluegoatwoods, Jun 24, 2009.

?

Do you keep a pedal bike on hand as well?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2009.
  1. I don't keep a pedal bike around

2 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. Yes. I ride it more than the motored bike

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Yes. I ride it less than the motored bike.

7 vote(s)
    46.7%
  4. Yes. It's about 50-50

1 vote(s)
    6.7%
  1. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

I've always been a pedal biker. I've only been a motored biker for a bit over a year. It's a great deal of fun and very useful. But I still ride the pedal bike more than the motor.

My motored bike has evolved into my bad weather machine mostly. For instance, I'll ride the motor if I'm certain of steady or heavy rain. Pedaling in a rain suit is no fun at all.

I'll also often use the motored bike if I need to haul a heavy load. But not always; maybe half the time I haul the heavy loads with the pedal bike. It's good exercise, after all.

Any other pedalers out there?

2. Mountainman

Mountainman Active Member

a cool poll here

sad to say -- I don't just pedal enough !! using motor aprox 80% of time...

but -- I sure do enjoy riding both THINGS !!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  3. arceeguy

arceeguy Active Member

I'm too lazy to pedal unless something fails on the engine system. So far, this hasn't happened yet. :)

4. nhfembiker

nhfembiker New Member

I'm a peddler exclusively right now... but working on becoming an MBer. Thanks to the helpful people on the Forum (in particular Sirjakesus), I may be on my way sooner than I thought... :)

5. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

Oh yes and my guess in the minority, long time cyclist with age catching up I see the day when I'm gonna need a little help. lol

We don't own a car but between my wife and myself we've got 9 bikes right now from smooth running roadies to mountain downhillers. 3 of those I've tinkered with motorizing in some fashion or other for myself, swapping around different setups. She is not that interested in the motor thing (yet lol) and still logs over a 100 miles a week on the road.

But yeah, having been a cyclist has really been behind my reasoning and personal preference for wanting quiet, lighweight, unobtrusive power assist that detracts little from the original functionality of the bike. If and when electric gets there, within budget, I'll probably go that way.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2009
  6. bluegoatwoods

bluegoatwoods Well-Known Member

That's cool, Happy Valley.

I wish my wife was into bicycling. I've never had much success with that. Though I recently bought her a bike (again....) and she's showing a little bit of interest. Maybe more than attempts in the past. Wish me luck.

By the way, I've always liked your signature line. I like Wells anyway and that quote is particularly intelligent.

"War of the Worlds" is one of the novels on my book shelf. I still read it every now and then and it still frightens me.

7. robin bird

robin bird Member

Yesterday my 50cc HT packed it in--so i removed all the parts and pedal it .its a cruiser and has 7 speeds it pedals wonderfully-- now i have to save for an engine--i have 7 bikes and have done long distance camping trips on bikes--feels great to pedal --you get out of shape so fast !!

8. robin bird

robin bird Member

3 weeks passed soon and im depressed because im not getting my adrenelin fix!! can hardly wait for parts !!

9. 5-7HEAVEN

5-7HEAVEN Guest

I bought a used $100 dual-suspension bike with intentions of replacing the girlie cruiser frame from "The Dragon Lady". For now I ride it downhill to nearby McD's. Other times I stick it in the van if I take it to work. Then if I need to park far from the office I ride my ds bike for the distance.

I also leave my "lunch bike" at work. Originally intended to ride to fast food restaurants, instead I ride it for an hour's exercise when time permits at noon.:idea:

And of course I commute daily with "The Dragon Lady", but I get my real exercise from my "lunch bike".:jester:

10. javelina1

javelina1 Member

the idea is to get some exercise. :rolleyes7: hence, I have both a hard tail and full suspension MTB's. I don't have a MBc just yet, but plan to remedy that real soon. Of course, the MBc is for fun!

11. duivendyk

duivendyk Guest

I pedal around town&use the MB to go on longer trips and for camping.

12. robin bird

robin bird Member

3 weeks from now a friend and i plan to do 85 kms on the Kettle Valley abandoned railine (500 miles long ) the section we are doing will be all downhill mostly-- it crosses 13 very high train trestles over wooded canyons --we will be pedaling the whole way --i will post pictures so you can see the country--by the way anyone interested contact me --a free place to stay @ my house --tenting !! look up kettle valley on the internet.

13. Bikewer

Bikewer New Member

I've been a fairly serious cyclist since the seventies. At 62, my knees are getting a little wonky, so maybe that's one reason to build an MB....
    I'm in "campus" law enforcement, and do bike patrol as well as maintaining our department's fleet of 20+ patrol bikes.
    I also repair/refurbish bikes and re-sell 'em; I've made about 600 bucks this season. Currently finishing up a Raleigh "technium" roadster.
    My main ride is a vintage (1972) Cilo/Swiss roadster I've extensively upgraded; a very smooth ride with it's butted-steel Columbus frame.

I also built a recumbent, but it needs a bit more work.

14. Happy Valley

Happy Valley Active Member

One of the reasons I thought this thread should be reativated here (and thanks Tom for moving it) is the exact thinking like that from Bikewer above:
    Boomers going through the discovery that those hills are getting a little steeper. :devilish:

78 million boomers due to retire in the next half decade is a huge chunk of demographic and a powerful lobby group. Just ask AARP. How many of those will still want to ride bikes and stay healthy but are going to feel kindly toward a little motor assist?

15. ibdennyak

ibdennyak Guest

Guess I would fit in about like Happy Valley. Asides from the Mbs, I have a nice old road bike, a cruiser, a couple mountain bikes, and even a drive shaft model. If I want to run to the store for a couple things, I just hop on one of them and go. Also, Juneau's 2nd biggest industry (right after government :annoyed:) is tourism, so we have a lot of bike trails to interesting historical spots. Bikes are a great way to check out some of them on those nice sunny afternoons when you don't want to do anything else. Just wish we had more nice sunny afternoons. I already have a fairly physical life style, and nothing has fallen off my body recently, so excercise is less of an issue. :grin5:

16. professor

professor Active Member

Can't remember when I didn't have a bike - except when I was riding motorcycles decades ago.
    The motorbike thing is new for me ( a motor assist bike was not legal here until this last spring).
    I had chosen a Trek hardtail for a 40 yr anniversary gift at work (an actual NEW bike).
    Then, I saw a HT cruiser bike my son got and it was so neat that I did a search somehow and ended up here.
    I am doing the gas/alternator e-bike (only e-bikes are legal in NY) to do longer runs- like going to work in nice weather.
    I sure am thinking about putting a weedwacker friction drive (super-covetly) on the trek though. Would not bother starting the engine for little zips in the neighborhood.
    My view is use it -or loose it. Make the body work and it will last longer.

17. wheelbender6

wheelbender6 Well-Known Member

I still pedal the MS150 yearly and do a lot of mountain biking.
    The motor bike is for errands and a weekly commute to work (50 mi round trip).
    I enjoy the tinkering as well.

18. Esteban

Esteban Active Member

I ride pedal a bike, much more thasn using a motor on one. I am 60 & enjoy the exercise.

19. retromike3

retromike3 Member

to pedal or not to pedal

My rain bike is a nineteen eighty Trek that was built when they only had six employees. Its a turing bike with a really long wheelbase.

My road bike is a frame I built a few years ago. Its got a True Temper tube set and assorted campy components. Its got fairly low gears (35-26) so I can drag my out of shape self over the hills.

My motorbicycle is a1990s giant with no suspension and a zoom motor and a S.B.P. pipe. I built it up so I can get to school without having to jam into the commuter train to Portland. When I was a kid I used to ride over the hill to Portland but now I just don't seem to have the horse power.

I also have a fixed gear bike that I built the frame for that I ride nowhere. I have a set of rollers in my shop/garage that I try to ride a few times a week so I don't get too fat.

Mike Frye the bike guy :cool:

20. retromike3

retromike3 Member

and yes I do wear spandex under my genes.