Bad CDIs

bowtieandboots

Local time
9:17 AM
The stock CDIs that come with these kits are trash. I've had 2 bad coils in the kits I've bought. One blew the capacitor on my first ride, and one was dead on arrival in the box. I bought the "supercharged CDI" from ebay, which is an American gokart CDI. It's been very reliable. But as a rule, you ought to have a couple of CDIs handy if you want to tinker with a china girl.

Obviously open the magneto cover and make sure all of the connections are still intact. Solder can crack. It's rare for the magneto to be bad though.

Last thing is that on a brand new motor, you have to pedal the crap out of it for a while with no sign of life from the engine for a while before it starts to "pop pop" even the slightest bit. Break in on these engines is frustrating. They seem like they won't run at all when you're first pedal starting them. And they run like crap with no power for 2 - 3 tanks of gas.

Last thing is that on a brand new motor, you have to pedal the crap out of it for a while with no sign of life from the engine for a while before it starts to "pop pop" even the slightest bit.
I must be an exception then, for at least ten years now that I have been building these, my motors have always started first time everytime without having to "pedal the crap out of it"...Either I have been doing something very right, or you have been doing something very wrong.

But thats what this forum is for, to figure out what goes wrong and how to correct the problems as they come along down the pike...lol.

Remember Damien, you do have a higher quality kit that does have generally better parts than the cheap ones that make these a cheap option
Remember, I didn't start out with a "High Quality" kit 10 years ago, I started out with a cheap little Seeutec motor kit, I put 6000 miles on it in a little over 5 years time...I still have it sitting on a shelf as emergency backup if I should ever need to put it back in use again...lol.

Back