best exhaust wrap for protecting legs from burns

I have burn scars on my inner thigh from riding with bermuda shorts.
Now I wear long jeans, and I've never burned myself again.
More often than not if I ride my bike in shorts I end up with a small grill mark on my leg, it doesn't take long for me to adjust my riding style after feeling that sting.

Long pants are a pretty good way to stop burning yourself, if you want.

More often than not if I ride my bike in shorts I end up with a small grill mark on my leg, it doesn't take long for me to adjust my riding style after feeling that sting.

Long pants are a pretty good way to stop burning yourself, if you want.
I just run the exhaust down from the engine as we are almost always in shorts here in Phoenix ;-}

I just run the exhaust down from the engine as we are almost always in shorts here in Phoenix ;-}

Yeah I can understand that it gets hot here too, but not as hot as southern AZ. Tell me do you ever think maybe your engines over heat while idling at a stop light when the ambient temp is 110+ degrees?

Yeah I can understand that it gets hot here too, but not as hot as southern AZ. Tell me do you ever think maybe your engines over heat while idling at a stop light when the ambient temp is 110+ degrees?

I don't idle for more than 7 seconds, I check crosswalks and if it says 8 or higher I shut off the engine. I played that idle in traffic game once and burned up a seal. Now I play it safe.

The exhaust is hot - the left knee of my pants is always the first to go

How about ceramic coating? I heard that it is a good alternative to exhaust wrap.

Yeah I can understand that it gets hot here too, but not as hot as southern AZ.
Tell me do you ever think maybe your engines over heat while idling at a stop light when the ambient temp is 110+ degrees?
Nope.
All my 2-stroke engines get a new NGK 5944 (BPR7HIX) Iridium spark plug, they dissipate the heat very well.

How about ceramic coating? I heard that it is a good alternative to exhaust wrap.
We want to protect our legs basically from the heat, the exhaust wrap does this well since there's air between the fibers to help insulate, while the fiberglass material also insulates. Ceramic coatings do help keep the heat in the pipe but not to the point where you can touch the pipe without being burned.

Let's not forget the cost of a ceramic coating either, not sure that the price is worth applying to these engines..

Back