Better CDI units??

been a few weeks now an it is still running great and the top speed is still in the 60kph range. had a really windy day the other day and could only do 50kph but i expected that. there has been no dramas with the yamaha cd unit. i have kept an eye on the plug and it is still good. the top of the piston is stil good. no burning etc etc. i think i have solve myself a problem. my MB goes great now.

Thanks for the quick reply. I'm looking at a site that has Yammie parts and when looking under 1978 YZ80 i can only see an ignition coil with one wire at one end and the spark plug wire at the other. Can you help me get the correct part ?? I appreciate your help on this TIA

There must be a ground connection somewhere on the coil/CDI unit (for black wire).

It would be great to see a list of compatible ignitions that would work and is it really a CDI or just a coil? I'm wondering if pretty much any ignition with one input, one ground and plug output would work fine?

It has a ground connection,the black wire.The blue wire is the input from the power coil in the engine.That coil generates a large ac pulse (a few 100 V) to power the CD unit proper, which processes it into the spark voltage.So overall, it is CDI ignition but sort of split in half.This makes it difficult to find an overall replacement.

Back