Big Problem, Better Solution

Spoke adjustment

There's an old gunsmithing trick that comes to mind here. You know that plastic handle goop that allows you to put vinyl handles on cheap tools? Just open the can, dip the handles and call it good... that stuff? Well, take a pair of slip-joint pliers and dip the JAWS and let that set with the jaws open... it's how we gunsmiths set flatsprings like on flintlocks without buggering them up. Also good on leafsprings on Peacemakers and similar single action handguns, or anywhere that you need a strong, soft grip. I would grip with the serrations of the jaws parrallel to the spoke, less likely to mar the spoke that way and you can use another section of the jaws as the vinyl wears through. If that doesn't give you enough traction, remove the vinyl and use horsehide glue to pad the jaws with 12oz leather- once the glue has set (24 hrs) dust them up with bow rosin... yes, fiddlebow rosin... and see if that don't work.
the Old Sgt.

Last edited:
Heh, I can understand how the Ole Sergeant would know about guns....but how did you find out about fiddles?????:geek::D

Tricks of the trade

- the fiddle rosin on leather trick is how gunsmiths did it before the days of dip-it-yourself vinyl. I apprenticed in 1965 at age 11... but then again, Uncle Clarence taught me to play fiddle, Mandolin and Banjo. Uncle Claude tried to teach me Guitar, but I learned far more from other sources. Grandma taught me harmonica. Grampa taught me rope bass. My Mother's side of the family hails from Podunk Hollow ('Hollar') Tennessee... they ain't no flatlanders. I've been in a few bluegrass/country/folk/old rock bands and call my venue "American Dirt". Now if I could just do a BOB trailer for my instruments ...
the Old Sgt.

(Dan Mitchell/Murray Kellum)

If you're gonna play in Texas, you gotta have a fiddle in the band
That lead guitar is hot but not for "Lousiana Man"
So rosin up that bow for "Faded Love" and let's all dance

I remember down in Houston we were puttin' on a show
When a cowboy in the back stood up and yelled, "Cotton-Eyed Joe"!
He said, "We love what you're doin', boys don't get us wrong
There's just somethin' missin' in your song"

So we dusted off our boots and put our cowboy hats on straight
Them Texans raised the roof when Jeff opened up his case
You say y'all all wanna two-step
You say ya wanna doe-si-doe
Well, here's your fiddlin' song before we go

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1YxYfrPaAZ4 Bob Wills is still the king!

Last edited:
It's interesting to hear of people breaking spokes. My bike uses a base model Quando hub and standard sized spokes.
In 40,000 kilometers of riding, over 3 years (most of it hauling heavy loads), i have "never" broken a spoke.

I don't understand how people break spokes if the wheel is correctly tensioned?

Perhaps that's what Lighnin Hopkins meant when he sang "Let me play with your poodle."

A clamshell hub adaptor is the best solution. 001.jpg

Back