Bikemotorparts 1.50" rubber drive roller

re: Darwin.

Cool. That website which sells Dimension bikes (www.monsterbicycle.com) got me interested in motorised bicycles. But it seems they only sell complete bikes with motor kits.

Are your rollers hard like skateboard wheels?

Yea theyre urethane and wear well but are useless when wet. The steel knarled BMP roller works better in wet weather.

Has anybody tried these tires for a friction drive? I have used them happily as pedal bike tires for 1 year, and on a HT bike for 1/2 year

http://www.nashbar.com/images/nashbar/products/medium/NB-EVTW-NCL-ANGLE.jpg $10 to $15
Plus, you'll get a LOT of vibration from the knobs against the roller. It would not corner well, and it gets less traction on pavement under all conditions except [possibly] wet snow.

Bike tires do not need tread of any sort on pavement to 'channel' the water, (unless you could exceed 60 MPH or more.) All the tread does is to reduce the grip of the tire on the road by reducing the surface area of the tire in contact with the pavement... (traction is created by the tire deforming to the pavement surface, and the gaps created by tread reduce the tire's surface area in contact with the pavement.)

The best inexpensive tire I've found for friction drives is the Innova Swiftor. The only downside to them is that the rubber is softer. While that gives it GREAT grip (on the road, and by the drive roller) and a very nice ride, it is more susceptible to wear. But, at $11 a pop, that shouldn't be a major consideration... (on a positive note, the reduced rolling friction of the Innova, against the road, AND the roller, gave me one-to-two MPH higher top speed...)

Attachments

• iksct1-1.jpg
    iksct1-1.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
re: Darwin.

Cool. That website which sells Dimension bikes (www.monsterbicycle.com) got me interested in motorised bicycles. But it seems they only sell complete bikes with motor kits.

Are your rollers hard like skateboard wheels?
Here's the Dimension Edge website, where you can order just the kit. (the link was on the monsterbicycle page you provided)

Thanks for the link and tip. The Nashbar Elevators actually corner surprisingly well on dry dirt or on pavement, and are predictable on the rainy streets.
You are probably right about noise or vibration though. For $10, I'll try one out when I get my kit and let ya'll know the results. If it doesn't eat it up, I can just put it back on another bike.

I always laugh about people saying a perfect slick would be best in the rain. Whatever suits you though. I think the Innova tire you suggested looks pretty good esp. for $11.

I'll go for a cheaper kit and motor. That stuff looks nice, but way too high for the amount I will use it and the risk of theft here.

Back