Breaking in

graggy

Local time
4:46 PM
I’m building my first bbr 80/66 cc bike. My question is when I start my bike for the first time when the engine starts should I pull the clutch in and just run the motor at a high idle and vary the rpm some for a while so the engine isn’t under load pulling the bike Or should I just ride it around slowly and let the motor run pulling the bike and my butt around? I see a lot of different opinions on the oil mix for breaking in. I know not to use synthetic oil for break in. I saw Damien‘s post for how much oil per gallon for break in and going to stick with that. What do you measure 5.12 ounces of oil in?

I’m building my first bbr 80/66 cc bike. My question is when I start my bike for the first time when the engine starts should I pull the clutch in and just run the motor at a high idle and vary the rpm some for a while so the engine isn’t under load pulling the bike Or should I just ride it around slowly and let the motor run pulling the bike and my butt around? I see a lot of different opinions on the oil mix for breaking in. I know not to use synthetic oil for break in. I saw Damien‘s post for how much oil per gallon for break in and going to stick with that. What do you measure 5.12 ounces of oil in?
I use a kitchen measuring cup from the dollar store...lol...Been doing it that way for many years now...lol.

You don't want to "High Idle" any motor during breakin...lol...I always just road mine at lower speeds while it warms up and it only takes a few minutes to warm up anyways...Don't be afraid to ride up hills etc during breakin, its gonna help seat the rings in better and quicker.

If you do any wide open throttle at all during breakin going uphill, just do not do it for long, just short duration spurts,

I use a kitchen measuring cup from the dollar store...lol...Been doing it that way for many years now...lol.

You don't want to "High Idle" any motor during breakin...lol...I always just road mine at lower speeds while it warms up and it only takes a few minutes to warm up anyways...Don't be afraid to ride up hills etc during breakin, its gonna help seat the rings in better and quicker.

If you do any wide open throttle at all during breakin going uphill, just do not do it for long, just short duration spurts,
Ok thanks for your reply

Idling these motors for any extended period of time is not good for them. These engines can be quick to overheat and cause many problems. Just ride you bike around and avoid WOT until you've gone through 3 tanks of gas.

‘Don’t be afraid to ride up hills etc during breaking, it’s gonna help seat the rings in quicker and better.’ This exactly what I needed to hear! It’s all hills around here. Thanks. This is a good example of why I read the posts and answers on these forums. Knowledge is fundamental, lol.

Just ride it like normal. Avoid sustained rpms, aka keep the revs moving around a bit. Don't engine brake. Ever. Don't let it idle for more than a minute.once warmed up, or a few minutes when cold.

Run a break in ratio for, at a bare minimum of one tank. There are guys that will run post break in ratios from the start, but I find it a silly practice. Just run a GOOD oil, like Valvoline general purpose 2 stroke.

Back