Breaking Spoke Blues

Paddie, I think you may be missing something here. The left side free wheel "allows" the wheel to turn faster than the cog driven by the motor. The right side freewheel "allows" the wheel to turn faster than the cog driven by the pedals. Both independent. Both allowing power to be transferred to the rear wheel on demand. Can drive the wheel with only the motor. Can drive the wheel with only the pedals. Can drive the wheel with both. Does that clear it up?

You couldn't be more plain Van. I think until he physically sees it , it will be difficult to get his head around it.

Hmmm ... AlaskaVan. I think I was a little confused by the GruBee kit configuration which does not use a freewheel. The sprocket is bolted to the spokes.
That said, I can see the advantage of using a freewheel as utilized by Staton.
What would happen with the GruBee configuration if you oversped the motor going down hill as Ol' Pete described? The set-up used by GruBee does not "allow the wheel to turn faster than the cog driven by the motor" - as you pointed out. Right?

GEBE vs Spokes

Paddie, I'm not as hip to this stuff as some of these guys, but I can tell you this from personal first hand experience. If you get a GEBE, I'd recommend a very beefy back wheel, with oversized spokes. I'm a big 'ol guy weighing in at over 300 lbs, but many have spoke breaking issues that weigh much less than I.....It's a great system, but I can't help but feel that spoke breakage is somewhat of an "issue" with the GEBE drive ring. If I had 'er to do over, I'd definitely consider a Staton Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
"If I had 'er to do over, I'd definitely consider a Staton".

Amen, Roy. if you wanted to sell your GEBE kit, many will inquire, then buy.

for super heavy duty use, overkill, bulletproof, able to withstand more HP than GEBE with no caveats, for one-time installation with no fixings...

"come to the dark side.":cool:

Myron

Last edited by a moderator:
all gebe needs to do is bolt a freewheel to the motor output shaft and the back tire freewheel problem is gone. ;) when i get mine done ill post pic.

all gebe needs to do is bolt a freewheel to the motor output shaft and the back tire freewheel problem is gone. ;) when i get mine done ill post pic.

Kewl!

Over speeding a Tanaka to 10k rpm on downhills may not be a big deal, I do think it would tolerate it, BUT the Robin/Subaru would prolly have the valves n' piston getting too intimate.

ya the 2 cycle will take it if its a reputable brand ( descent bearings).

I don't know how fast (rpm) I've had my 43 cc Mitsu, but the speedo has passed 47 (mph). I do worry about it a bit, but not enough to slow down.

For the big guys, staton makes a lot of sense, even for the not so big guys. The system does look bulletproof.

Back