Breaking Spoke Blues

:cool:granted, it's heavier than the GEBE setup, but worth the peace of mind to me.

Spoke breakage

I'm gonna be stuck with this GEBE set up I guess, and I must say that the only problem I've really had with it are the breaking spokes...I'm sure that the 9 or 10 guage rear spokes will solve that. Besides that issue, the little thing is flawless....gotta love that little Robin/Suburu engine...very user friendly. I like being able to throw the thing up on a city bus rack, and have my ride with me when I get on the other side of town, or easily put it in the trunk of my car, and drop the car off at the shop, or being able to effectively pedal the bike home in case of total mechanical failure on the part of the engine, to name a few examples of the advantages that the extreme light weight of the bike with the GEBE offers. I just hope it can handle me!! lol.

Kewl!

Over speeding a Tanaka to 10k rpm on downhills may not be a big deal, I do think it would tolerate it, BUT the Robin/Subaru would prolly have the valves n' piston getting too intimate.

I now have a pretty good feel for the GEBE and Staton with respect to overspeed on the downhills. However, I've just purchased the GruBee and am curious as to how it would respond to the same situation ... given that the sprocket is tied to the spokes.

I now have a pretty good feel for the GEBE and Staton with respect to overspeed on the downhills. However, I've just purchased the GruBee and am curious as to how it would respond to the same situation ... given that the sprocket is tied to the spokes.

I really don't know. I have a GEBE R/S-35 on a fairly light aluminum HT MTB that has quick steering and anything over 35mph is just a bit much for this old man. Gotta slow down, turn or stop from that speed too, ya know.
I do know that the Tanakas tune up to 10k rpm pretty easy if ya got the bucks and can live with the noise.

if i were to replace my 14g, 271mm spokes with 12g spokes on my rear wheel, do the spoke holes on the outside rim and inside plate typically need to be bored out slightly to accommodate the thicker spokes?

i'm looking at these:
http://www.bikepartsusa.com/product_info.asp?f_q=12+gauge&cp=1&p=01-131995

also, does anyone know if a box of spokes comes with the nipples, or are those sold separately?

i had my bike running for a few days, but it seems in the process i broke a few spokes, so i'm looking to upgrade without too large a bill

thanks guys

put the 105s(12g) spokes on the bike and yes you will have to drill the rim and hub.

Generally nipples are seperate, you might want to email or call them. Buy a nipple wrench that fits 12g.
271 seems a bit long.My rear wheel laced 4 cross to a Staton hub took 267mm spokes, albeit in 14g.
I suppose one could cut extra thread and cut to length but the rolled threads spokes come with are better.

does anyone know where to buy 12 gauge nipples? my local bike shop doesn't stock or special order them, and i can't for the life of me find them online.:eek:

First 100 miles

I am very happy to report that I haven't had any broken spokes, after 100 miles with the wheel I had laced up by The Wheelmaster. I'm really starting to like this little thing....more fun, less replacing spokes!! Yippie!!! I'll post every 100 miles, for the first 500...that should prove the 10 guage spokes worthy of a 350 pound rider/GEBE drivering stress.

Back