Can I Get Rid of My Master Link?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by Jason74, Jul 31, 2009.

1. Jason74

Jason74 New Member

Since I have a half way decent chain breaker, can I go ahead and get rid of my master link. The holding clip on my master link is getting a little soft, so instead of replacing it, I thought I would just do away with it altogether. Is there problem with this?
    I'm talking about my motor drive chain.

2. azbill

azbill Active Member

no prob that I can see
    I have done it a few times and the only prob was having to break it again
    master is for conveniencve of maintenance I believe :)
  3. they have master links at walmart.
    chainbreaker with master link $5
    3/8" chain for single speed cruiser bike with master link $7(same as a 415chain but not as long).
  4. fetor56

fetor56 Guest

If the holding clip is getting soft that suggests it was poor quality to start with...descent clips always snap-in/snap-out with a firm postative action(unless it's been overused)
    Nothing technically wrong with getting rid of the joining link;think about any chain maintenance though.....think about removing the chain in the field if the engine fails.
    Keep the joining link & buy a KMC/YBN/etc link.
  5. give me vtec

give me vtec Active Member

I dont use the masterlinks... dont trust them.
  6. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Did not use mine, I also do not trust them.
  7. Jason74

Jason74 New Member

Thanks for the input!

I really couldn't see any problem with removing it, however, I thought it would be good to check with those who would know for sure.

Thanks a bunch,
  8. Hawaii_Ed

Hawaii_Ed Member

Always good to get real world input! :) I did not run one on my regular bike or my shift kit.

VIIPER New Member

My link broke last night while I reached down to turn off the choke. Over the bars I went. And at 300 lbs. I dropped like a rag doll. Now I don't trust them. What to do? I need one about 52" for my Schwinn Del Mar.
    HELP!!! I want to go riding again!
  10. buy a better chain.
  11. VIIPER

VIIPER New Member

LOL Looks like Northern Tool carries them. #41. Going today at lunchtime. Hope to be on the road this weekend!!!
  12. nadroj

nadroj Member

I dont use a master link, had one break on me
  13. VIIPER

VIIPER New Member

Picked it up for $12.99. 10 footer too!! That's enough for two MB! lol Looks alot heavier! Nope, no master link this time!! Learned my lesson the HARD way (no pun intended).
  14. give me vtec

I didn't need one to break to know not to use one. I looked at the master link and then the engine and thought there is no way that is going to last. If you have a chain breaker tool there really isn't a good reason to use one. A chain is only as strong as the weakest link....
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2009
  15. VIIPER

VIIPER New Member

Forum is just PACKED FULL of MB knowledge. Glad the boss is not around. LOL
  16. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

I've gone both ways with bikes, currently using a master link. A quality master link should be fine but the junk that comes with the kit is questionable at best. You really should buy a quality chain to start with and it will sound better, freewheel better and even deal with the cheap sprockets better. If your kit chain was like mine, it streached like crazy the first few miles. That should prove to you that it isn't worth trusting. My KMC replacement hasn't streached yet in over 50 miles.

I rode (and raced) dirt bikes for decades and heard this argument long ago, I've never broken a master on anything myself.
  17. give me vtec

that sounds about right... I was just judging the ones that came with my kits.

What size chain did you buy and where? mine stretched like cray and i want to replace it.
  18. Just_Gasit

Just_Gasit Member

I used this place.
    Took them about a week and a half to get it to me, not terrible but I've had better shipping service. Also, the 98L (length) was 1 and 1/2 links short and I had to use a small piece of my left-over kit chain. I figured they counted links by outter plate count but no, they count every single link. I did use the included KMC master this time but had no master (tossed the junk kit one) with the original chain.

This link was posted by another member, might be useful for size info.
  19. ENO

ENO Member

Better Chain 415 (S)

The cheap chinese chains and links always cause problems as they are poor grade metal and they twist and jump the sprockets and tensioner easily. Best fix is to get a new and better quality chain..Some use a 415 but if you order the 415 (S)..(S) indicates "Motorbike quality".. it never breaks / has no sideways twist..and the pitch still suits the sprockets..Never had any problems since replacing the cheapo...Chain links ? well thats debatable..maintenance ? stop any clips flipping off make sure you install the clip with the round aspect facing back so it doesnt catch the sprocket and also as you install it, clean the area with gas / let dry and then add some 5 minute Araldite or resin glue to the clip can always remove it and it gives it that extra connection to the chain..The one we bought from the local "chain supplier" is called a FENNER ROLLER CHAIN 415 (S) and comes in a 10 foot length which gives you two full length chains with some to spare..(but only one link)..order more links..Chain cost us $18AU..links 33 cents each,,much cheaper than the bike shop deals..Bad chains eat spokes or rip calves..Good luck ENO in Oz
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2009
  20. scokes

scokes Member

Agreeing with ENO, get better chain. 41 chain suits me just fine. I conveniently work for an industrial supply chain and have the 10' sections on the shelf. Less than $10 US and enough for two sections with some left over.

I do use the master link, purely for easy on/easy off access as I have had to replace a chain on the side of the road with minimal tools in 100+ deg weather. I hate breaking a chain, but more than that, I hate breaking a sweat.