Carby Carby gremlins? Why so unreliable?

Thanks Fetor... I'll try swapping the CDI first. I'm debating ordering a new one or disconnecting the one from the other bike and switching it over... I soldered all the connections, so switching them would be a pain, although not unbearable.

As for removing the killswitch... I'm willing to try taking it out of the circuit for testing purposes, but how is one supposed to stop the motor without it? Do you just dump the clutch without any momentum to stall it? That can't be healthy.
Either reconnect the standard kill switch when you've finished diagnosing the problem(or buy a better kill switch) OR try this:
http://www.motoredbikes.com/showthread.php?t=8579

Last edited by a moderator:
Small world, fetor - I actually stumbled across that thread when I first hooked up the killswitch, because the instruction manual that came with the motor was so inaccurate. That's pretty much what sold me on MBc - there's no better source to answer all the "WTF@!?!??'s" I've ran into than this.

Next time I hit the garage, I'm gonna switch the CDI's and see what happens. Screw the solder joints.

I'ma throw this bike off a cliff...

Okay... I swapped CDI's and got the bike started! Woot! I ran it around the block and it seemed to be working okay... I parked it and let it idle for a few minutes and it didn't die or anything. I rolled it back into the garage to install a new set of brakes, and after that, it wouldn't start anymore. Argh

Durh... after my success with the CDI swap, I forgot all about disconnecting the killswitch as mentioned above. Sure enough, I clipped the killswitch out of the circut, and the bike started right up. This all makes me wonder if this has been my problem all along, and if so, it makes me feel remarkably stupid. I'll have to give it more test rides to see if it's any more reliable now, but I think this may finally have brought resolution to the problem.

Thanks for all your help everybody!

Glad you're making progress, I still can't find that thread I saw on the kill switch.

Back