centrifugal clutch question, is it true?

Discussion in 'Frame Mounted Engines' started by fenderhole, Feb 24, 2009.

  1. fenderhole

    fenderhole New Member

    yesterday i was checking out info on these centrifugal clutch set ups when i came across an older thread that stated when the engine was shut down the centrifugal clutch locked to the motor and you had to pull in the clutch lever to roll or peddle the bike. is this true? i'm asking because i usually use the pedal as a kickstart so i can warm up the motor before i go for a ride(i have the kickstand that picks the whole back tire off the ground). if this clutch truly locks to the engine when its off then i should still be able to kickstart it as usual, correct???
     

  2. Skyliner70cc

    Skyliner70cc Active Member

    clutch doesn't lock to engine when it isn't running. You should pull clutch lever to reduce engine drag when pedalling.

    PS where did you get your kickstand? I need one like that.
     
  3. fenderhole

    fenderhole New Member

    hmmm... it seems i'm getting conflicting info. some say the clutch locks up when the engine is off, some say it doesn't. here's a quote from a thread to add to the confusion.


    PowerRyder wrote: Kite179 the pull start is not necesary with the clutch kit just a cool accessery it works ok but you are still able to start your bike by poping the clutch as normal.

    PowerRyder wrote: Kite179 when the engine is shut down the clutch somehow locks and you must disengage the hand clutch to roll or peddel the bike.

    QuadManiac wrote: Just be aware that the HT centrifugal clutch also has a one-way bearing (or freewheel) built in so when pedaling the one-way still applies torque to the engine for starting (assuming the regular clutch is engaged) but allows the engine to run at low RPMs with the clutch shoes disengaged from the drivetrain. As far as i can tell with about 50 miles on it and a Sick Bike Parts shift kit it's worked flawlessly starting the bike from a stop easily in first gear.


    soooo, now i'm confused. which way is correct?

    Skyliner70cc, the kickstand i have came with the bike but i've seen some just like it on ebay. hope you find one. it makes life alot easier


    Fenderhole
     
  4. Skyliner70cc

    Skyliner70cc Active Member

    PowerRyder wrote: Kite179 the pull start is not necesary with the clutch kit just a cool accessery it works ok but you are still able to start your bike by poping the clutch as normal.

    Not true, you must pull or pedal start it.


    PowerRyder wrote: Kite179 when the engine is shut down the clutch somehow locks and you must disengage the hand clutch to roll or peddel the bike.

    Not accurate, the centrifugal clutch is not engaged when the motor is not running. Disengaging manual clutch reduces rolling resistance so it makes things easier when pedalling.

    QuadManiac wrote: Just be aware that the HT centrifugal clutch also has a one-way bearing (or freewheel) built in so when pedaling the one-way still applies torque to the engine for starting (assuming the regular clutch is engaged) but allows the engine to run at low RPMs with the clutch shoes disengaged from the drivetrain. As far as i can tell with about 50 miles on it and a Sick Bike Parts shift kit it's worked flawlessly starting the bike from a stop easily in first gear.

    Some kits have the one-way bearing and others supposedly don't.

    soooo, now i'm confused. which way is correct?

    Confusion should be improved :)
     
  5. POPS

    POPS Member

    Sky
    What did you find out about your centrifugal clutch??? Was it a loose bolt?...POPS
     
  6. Skyliner70cc

    Skyliner70cc Active Member

    Pops,
    It was a roller bearing that was not put int the right place during installation at the factory. This small roller jammed the clutch. I took it apart, put the cylindrical roller bearing where it needed to be and all works as it should.
    This was not a reliability issue but a manufacturing assembly issue. I'm very happy that it was something simple and not major. I bought a replacement centrifugal clutch expecting the worst and now my other bike will not have one :)
     
Loading...