chain issues stingray chopper minibike build

here is a video of the 6.5 one that im having chain issues with.. before the chain issues..
man, if that thing comes off and locks the rear tire, im a dead man.. it tops out at 40MPH

ohh ya...
i found one of his pics.
so its as i suspected, basically i need to bring the chain up at the rear sprocket..
i bet its bouncing under load and coming off.. I mean, all dirtbikes and streetbikes have a chain guide there.
Now that I see the pic, it's good ya don't have to loose the rim brakes

Check the rear wheel gear for off center, that usually makes the chain bounce. Then make the top chain tensioner solid mount so it becomes a guide instead. Too much flex in the system will throw your chain every time.

ok... i think i got it fixed..
i had a tensioner left over so i welded it to the swingarm so it would lift the chain up just in front of the
rear sprocket.. took it for a ride... no chain issue... i do get a bad vibration just as the clutch is fully engaging but
it has always done that.. I assume its the torque from the motor and the fact that its a solid mount.. no rubber motor mounts.

Check the rear wheel gear for off center, that usually makes the chain bounce. Then make the top chain tensioner solid mount so it becomes a guide instead. Too much flex in the system will throw your chain every time.
agreed.. i did find that it was misaligned a bit.. so i re positioned the motor and it looked much better.. but the chain still came off.
now with the one I added at the rear, it went good today... so we will see

that pic is rather old i no longer use chain guides no need for them on smaller motors with OCCS

If your going to push the chain under you need to use a stock chain tensioner and just point it down.

best way to go, run that arm loose, run the chain just under the break post then have the break arm go through the middle of the chain.
View attachment 103966
If its needed on Top have a tensioner push the chain down like you are now.
but this is how i run them, now i know picture blurred but best i could do.
nice...
I did initially have it like that... and i had to actually grind down the spring tab on the brake arm because the chain was hitting it.. it was very close but it was working.. but then the chain fell off after about my 10th ride.. and that was when I switched it all up to try to make it better.

Back