Chain tensioner issues... Will it be a problem?

Hi! I have a few questions a bout my first build, the Kent LaJolla. So far, with my current setup I've had no problems but someone mentioned to me that where my chain tensioner was, was not a good idea. He said to move it to the bottom bar where stress will be taken off of the tensioner but I had a lot of trouble doing that and it didn't line up well. So I moved he tensioner to the top bar and bolted it to the frame so it won't move. Will I have any problems like this? Capture.jpgYou can kinda see it here, but its the best pic I've got... Any and all input will be appreciated! Thanks

when I first installed the chain tensioner on my my tandem-because of the angle of the lower bar..the tensioner was out of alignment with the chain. So I took the roller off and used a big crescent wrench to bend it to it was aligned properly with the chain..it took a couple trys to get it right and I've had no trouble with it.

That "someone" who said to move your tensioner to the upper side of the chain should not be giving out such mechanically flawed advise.

That's so true, Fabian. The bottom of the chain is where all of the slack is. A lot of people riding that type of frame have done away with the tensioner altogether with good results. The only reason I run a tensioner is because without it the chain rubs on the bottom of the frame.

You can do what I did. I moved the chain tensioner over to the other side. Mounted downwards it will tension the 'pedal' chain. (You might have to lengthen this chain a bit)

You simply pull the wheel back to the point that the motor chain is good and tight without the tensioner and adjust the tensioner to make the pedal chain tight. The only time the tensioner is under any stress at all is when braking.

I'm assuming you have a single-speed coaster brake? It looks like it.

Back