Charged with driving while license suspended and operating an unregistered vehicle

Simonator, that is a good result. Looks to me like it was treated as an infraction which is civil in nature, not criminal, but check with your lawyer if you want to know for sure.

Pay the fine and be thankful.

I am thankful I haven't been pulled over in my city. If I am pulled over and the police says I can't ride it then I am done. Back to pedaling. So far so good. The problem is I will get stopped eventually. In the past 3 years I been stopped a total of 4-5 times riding a normal bicycle late at night. It's only a matter of time before I am stopped riding my motor bike. I try not to ride late at night very often. I hope when I do get stopped that it won't be another bad experience....

Hey Sim,
Pay the fine, but find out what you're paying for.

I know that feeling you describe all too well. You want to ride, and do it anyway
despite the risk, and always feel paranoid about what lurks around the next corner.
Considering your legal history, combined with the rush you get from motors, I understand you'd feel even worse. The love/hate would flow strong...

When I weighed up the risk of fines, versus the cost of a new electric bike.
I decided to spend the future/impending/"yet to happen court fine", on the LEGAL, electric.

My 2cents (AU) worth.

I don't think I can even ride an electric bike legally. The officer that stopped me said that even electric bikes need to be registered.

Well, I guess getting registered is your way around it.
Or better still educated on your local laws.
I bought my bike from a bicycle shop,
and these guys are experts on my local laws.
So when they say its legal, it really is.
Are there any bicycle shops near you, that sell electric bikes ?

I called the court today. I was told that the operating an unregistered vehicle charge was reduced to a civil infraction. That is what the $100 fine was for. It turned into just a ticket.

Simon, good thing it's only a fine. That's how I feel about my encounter with the law as well. But still, I know you feel they shouldn't get one penny.

It's hard to do sometimes, but it's best not to ride at night. However, I find myself riding at night sometimes because there's only so many hours in a day! I've never been pulled over in the day but once, because I was on the interstate shoulder lane and took an exit, but that's another story, LOL

Riding in the Day, is the best way.

It's hard to do sometimes, but it's best not to ride at night.
Riding in the Day, is the best way.

True. I try not to either. I have to ride very early in the morning 6 days a week now. I start work at 5 AM. There are not very many cars on the road at 4:30 AM. At least my job is only a mile from home.

1 mile? WOW I could pedal that! Lucky! :D

It's 3.6 miles for me just to the nearest gas station, and over 8 miles to get into town.

It's hard to always ride when light out, I got pulled over @ 5AM one time because I was taking a turning lane, and I was let go with nothing, but when I got home, I found out online that bikes in FL ARE ALLOWED to use turning lanes and have the right of way. Just an example that some cops DO NOT know the very laws they enforce.

Careful out there,
ZnsaneRyder

Back